DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Reports of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo’s death have been greatly exaggerated. After the unsurprisingly angry backlash the company received from its fanbase, Mitsubishi has apparently reversed its decision to kill its flagship rally fighter.

Mitsubishi now must find a way to balance the ferocious performance and cult-status image of the Evolution with the new eco-friendly image it’s developing around the world. The Evo X will still be available, but the next generation will “evolve” into a different direction—something that may surprise the Evo’s thousands of fans.

In a press release, Mitsubishi Motors Corporation Global Chief Executive, Osamu Masuko indicates that perhaps the Evo never was axed and that the automaker has plans for the next generation of the vehicle. Masuko comments that in response to new market demands the automaker, “is considering not advancing the Lancer Evolution concept in the same way as before, but to find a different direction for the Lancer Evolution model to evolve.”

With previous rumors that the car could include hybrid or electric technology, this seems all the more likely by additional remarks that the car’s future direction and the “technologies involved” in it, will be revealed at a later date.

So rest assured Evo faithful, the STi-killer isn’t dead, but it may never be the same.

Get more: Mitsubishi Evo Resurrected at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Re: Mitsubishi Evo Resurrected, Future Versions Headed in a 'Different direction"

Good news...although i'm curious to see what it'll become.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: Mitsubishi Evo Resurrected, Future Versions Headed in a 'Different direction"

So happy they decided against axing it completely. I agree with FWD and will predict a hybrid performance car.

·
Registered
363 Posts

Diesel evo...
This could be interesting...

I still think that the Evo is gonna die. They can call it what they want, unless it remains as an AWD, turbocharged "gas-guzzler" it wont be an Evo. Period

·
Registered
3,374 Posts

Anything but a gas motor, I hope.

Basically, they are just going to name something the evo and pretend it has a shared heritage.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Anything but a gas motor, I hope.

Basically, they are just going to name something the evo and pretend it has a shared heritage.

Just like the Eclipse?

I've never wished bad on anyone, but I really do hope Mitsubishi crashes and burns just so they learn their fucking lesson, and stop making embarrassments that the rest of us DSM/True Mitsu enthusiasts have to live with.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

Diesel would be interesting in deed. I know they had a concept AWD turbocharged Eclipse that was diesel. So they have thought of it. If it's still on the table or not is the real question.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts

I too would love to see a turbo diesel evo. I have an old 96 ram 2500 diesel and its not hard to increase HP and fuel economy on them. Not only that but diesels produce high torque at low HP. I have my truck tuned to 380hp and 780ft/lbs of torque and I blow almost no smoke at all. But Mitsu would have to keep the AWD alive for a diesel sports car to stay alive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts