DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody heard of a MIVEC mod for our dsm's... I heard somewhere that they were avaliable in japan?? is this true...

·
Registered
869 Posts
It was either HKS, or Jun or somebody who made add on variable valve timing for Evo's. But I don't think would work on a DSM.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wont work with the evo ecu or some other reason... cuz isn't an evo still has the 4g63 just set up in the opp direction.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,681 Posts
MIVEC is old school black box Mitsu.
Ask someone with a jap spec Mirage engine, some of those have had MIVEC for years.
They even make Mivec controllecs akin to the vtec controllers.
(Good luck finding one unless you order from Japan.)
Mitsu has had VVT as long or longer than Honda.

Aren't they putting mivec heads on the 2.4l Galants ect nowadays?
Can't see how hard of a stretch that would be. You can put a 4G63 DOHC head on a 4G64, some genious will find a way to put a mivec head on a 4G63. IF, its worth our whiles.
With the engine reversal now vs then, it would probably be more of a pain than its worth. And the tendancy to use distributors on 2.4s would make using that ecu an impossibility.

09 evo's are supposed to be MIVEC
06 eclipse GT v6's are MIVEC already too.
The one with 263hp
A v-6... with mivec...
the sky is falling...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
They mivec just about everything now, I saw a montero with mivec at the dealership. The 06' evo IX, does have mivec. It makes 286hp and responds very well to mods, its pretty sweet, guys are getting 350-400 hp (at the crank) while still making low end tourque. I don't know how difficult it would be to fit it a dsm.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Monteros don't have MIVEC.

The 4G69 which is a 2.4L with MIVEC is in use in the Galant DE & ES, Outlander, Eclipse GS, Lancer Ralliart.

The 6G75 with MIVEC is a 3.8L is only available in the Eclipse GT. The Galant LS and GTS, Monteros and the Endeavors have the non-Mivec version which produces ~30 less peak hp.

And of course, as stated, the Evo IX has a 4G63T with MIVEC.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was asking cuz it would be nice to have vvt cuz ( i'm not intending to make this a kill story post) i raced a new Civic SI hatch with a t3t4 turbo kit.. only boosting 6lbs on stock internals and i yaped on him through 1st 2nd and shortly after i hit 3rd here he comes just crusing by me at like 90... now i know he was alot lighter than me but i am boosting twice as much and then some at 14.5... but yea he has a very high engine compression... but anyways i just thought MIVEC would be awesome if it were avaliable for the 90's 4g63s.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I really don't think the end would justify the means.

MIVEC in a DSM = HKS 272s + big turbo. ;)

·
Registered
484 Posts
enh, make sure you have other mods, too. HKS 272's + Frank Jr = 13.5's in my 90 awd.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,681 Posts
The old fashioned way might very well be more effective (cost/time anyway)

A civic is also a lighter car.
But yes gets more high end yank from vvt.

You should just be turning the boost knob a touch.
Mivec is like lighting a cigarette with a cruise missile.

Simple problem = simple solution.

GPTourer, are those 2.4l heads DOHC or SOHC?
Just wondering..?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Every non-Evo USDM Mitsubishi is SOHC.

·
Honorary Administrator
17,457 Posts
jjmoskoe said:
i was asking cuz it would be nice to have vvt cuz ( i'm not intending to make this a kill story post) i raced a new Civic SI hatch with a t3t4 turbo kit.. only boosting 6lbs on stock internals and i yaped on him through 1st 2nd and shortly after i hit 3rd here he comes just crusing by me at like 90... now i know he was alot lighter than me but i am boosting twice as much and then some at 14.5... but yea he has a very high engine compression... but anyways i just thought MIVEC would be awesome if it were avaliable for the 90's 4g63s.
Something tells me that his cam changeover had little to do with him pulling on you. Weight, gearing, compression, etc had more to do with it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The cam changeover... from the iVTEC? what happens when it changes...cuz i had him through the beg of 3rd gear.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,681 Posts
It switches to bigger bumps with more overlap.
Profiles better associated with high rpm power.
They in turn engage 2ndary rocker arms that open and close valves to the new profiles. It definately allowed the engine to take full advantage of whatever boost he was running. BUT....
Tweak that boost knob. He won't stand a chance.
His sissy internals won't let him do the same so you'll have an advantage.
What were your mods and what were you up against?
I'm curious now.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Asmodeus said:
You should have changed that statement to...
Nooo, that's not true. But I should have said currently available. The keep hinting at doing a DOHC head for the 6G7X, but it never comes to fruition. What makes me even more upset is that Hyundai is about to come out with the an American version of their Equus. I think it is to be called the Asura? Not sure. Anyway, it was developed with Mitsubishi (their version is called the Proudia, or Proud Diamond) and it is a RWD sedan powered by what? A V8. I think we will only get the V6 version at first, but it is coming.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Hyundai Azera, 3.8l 24 valve, DOHC, all-aluminum engine with a cold air intake. It's a boat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
jjmoskoe said:
I agree with the post above, Having i-vtec didn't have anything to do with him beating you. As a matter of fact, the EP Si hatch doesn't have "true" v-tec, under normal operating conditions (cruising) it only uses2 or 3 valves per cylinder, then when you floor it, I think at 5500rpm, it starts to use the remaining valves. I've recently turbo'd a new si at my shop w/ a greddy turbo, and for 6-7 psi, it pulls pretty good. Anyways, mivec wouldn't work on non-evo 4g63's. Now, if you turbo the jdm mivec motor....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts