DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have found a highly modidfied dsm that I am considering buying. But I dont know if I should buy one that is modified or that is stock and modify it myself? Please any input at all will help me!

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you feel comfortable buying it and it is in good running shape...then go for it (especially if your gonna modify it anyways). Mods don't raise the resale price but the person selling will think so. If you want those parts then all the better.

frisco

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you mod it yourself, then you will gain a better hands on idea of how the car works. If you get a DSM, it will break. If you know how it works, you can fix it yourself. I wouldnt trade off the fun of doing my own mods as opposed to a ready made 11 sec beast. Its fun to make a slow car fast.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Technically,I agree with both of the above. But, I'm having an awful lot of fun doing it all myself. Plus, learning as I go and planning to do the mods that I think will suit me is great. When I was looking for one; I looked for no mods at all and all repair receipts. Also, if the seller warns you to let the car idle for a minute or so to cool down the turbo; you've got a winner IMHO.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you like working on the car then I'd do it yourself. But you may also be able to save some money if you buy the car ready to go. And is the builder of this car trustworthy, did he do it right and maintain it?

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,153 Posts
Ok if the parts total 2 times the price of a new engine i would go for it. also keep the owners name and number for any questions about the mods and the cars character.(it will have one)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have to agree, building a car and making it fast is half the fun. Plus, you will definately have a better understanding of the way the car works, and how to repair things. Another minor thing to think about is, that if you build the car, it becomes your car, where as if you buy someone eles project, it is always theirs in some way (especially if you buy the car from someone who lives in the same town). People will always ask, "isn't that so and so's car?". I say build a winner yourself, it is much more fun, plus you won't worry about buying someones grenade.

------------------
Brian P.
New turbo almost here!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
STOCK!!!!!!!!! Its the best, there is no beter feeling of waking up and hoping in *your* car that you worked, killed, and Invested** your time and money into and killing a Rustang in **your** car. also you have a fresh start and you and only you know what you have and what was done to the car. I got mine from an old lady. All papers booklets, Evan the paper that goes on teh window that tells you what the car has and options. PLus also I just finished installing a motor in my new TSi from all teh knoledge I have gained working on the car.

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts