DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is a 97 Eclipse GS-T, mostly stock, automatic transmission. For the last month, I'm getting a momentary loss of power when I accelerate from a steady speed. No CEL's, just a hesitation that is more severe the more I depress the accelerator pedal. Once the car reaches the speed I want and let off the pedal slightly, the car runs normally (I've had it up over 100 mph). I guess I'd call it "bogging under acceleration", definitely doesn't appear to be turbo lag, I'm familiar with that, I've driven the car for 11 years.

One thing that WILL produce a CEL is flooring the accelerator at expressway speed when passing. P303 reports a misfire (the engine stumbles, then recovers, running normally when I back off the pedal). Once I clear the CEL using my ScanGauge II trip computer, everything is normal as long as I don't floor it again. Could the knock sensor retarding the timing be causing this stumble under heavy acceleration? Not sure how good the octane of the gas around here actually is.

I just checked the transmission fluid, looks good. The car has 141,000 miles, and I had the fluid changed at around 98,000 (bought the car with 64,000). Spark plugs were changed about 3 months ago, using the recommended NGK BPR6ES plugs, properly gapped.

The only change that happened just prior to the issue appearing was replacement of the alternator, which is outputting about 14 volts at cruising speed.

One other odd thing- when I pull out of my driveway (cold start), the car has a serious lack of power for about 200 feet, it's hard to do the 25 mph street limit (mild uphill grade), then suddenly the turbo kicks-in and I must quickly back off the throttle. From that point, the engine's power seems to be normal, other than the hesitation. Never previously had this cold start issue, it coincides with the hesitation issue when accelerating from a constant speed.

Any ideas? None of the symptoms occurred prior to about two months ago, the stumble on heavy acceleration (and CEL) was the first to occur.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Possible clogged fuel filter as 10's mentioned, also how old are your wires? What did you gap your plugs to?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have to look into things this weekend. Plugs are the recommended NGK BPR6ES #7131 gapped to 0.044". Fuel filter replaced about two months ago, issue with sensors on auto transmission (reading the tranny line shaft speeds) finally resolved with new sensor pair installed. Plug wires probably could use replacing. A little busy this week, funeral for my wife (liver cancer, she was only 65).

BTW, I had a weird issue with my '00 Toyota Camry LE 4-cyl last week. The engine kept cutting out, losing power intermittently, and actually dying at idle. Figured might be one of two things easily checked, iced fuel line (added dry gas), nope, so I replaced the spark plugs. Yep, that was it, iridium plugs probably had only 25,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything resolved on the car except for an issue when I go to full throttle on the expressway to pass. I get a slight hesitation and a P0303 check engine code. Use my ScanGuage to kill the error code and everything is fine for the remainder of the drive. Would this likely be an injector flowing less compared to the other three or something else? After installing new plugs, wires, a new fuel filter, and the new transmission sensors, everything else seemed to clear-up, only the P0303 during a full throttle pull remains. BTW, solved the weird issue with my Camry stalling (it started doing it again). Vacuum hose leak. Makes me want to replace the hoses on my Eclipse, as it's three years older, with at least 40K more miles on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts