DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I do it? , I cant figure out were teh green wire goes because our cars have 2 coils. I have a 90 tsi awd, any info would be really good. I heard you have to send it back to autometer for recalibration, is ther any way around it?

------------------

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I remember correctly, the green wire can be connected on the back of the instrument cluster to the screw that reads: tach

-Alex
92 GS-T

·
Registered
921 Posts
the problem ois that most tack's are for rotor type ign. the DSm use Mulit coil design so the Tack needs a adaptor. the best place to tap in is the cam angel sensor in to the ECU. this is where the ECU gets it's RPM signal from. dependong on the maker of the tack they should sell a adaptor for it. but the Q is why put one in :cool:

------------------
Bill Marino
NYC DSM
[email protected]

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks, its an Autometer Tach. I mainly got it for the purpose of the shift light, I find it useful because they are so many other gauges to glance at while making a pass or tuning the car. I really didn't like how the Shift light alone looked (looked really stupid) So I just bought the rice tach.

------------------

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sooooo, you need an adapter of some sort? Why cant you just wire it through the coil like the instructions say?

I just got my 5" tach (Autometer) and need to get it in

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why do you call it a rice tach? Dinosaur V8's have been using them forever. Longer than the Rice Revolution came about...

------------------
---------
Mr. Tippy
Black 1997 Eclipse GST Spyder
"V8 HAHA"

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called it that beacuse alot of dsm people think it ricey.....so to avoid critism I called it that. Ireally dont think it is ricey as long as you need it, but if you have a stock car with it then it becomes ricey......but other than that i think it is a pretty good tool, at the track and not ricey at all

------------------

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if you drop your knee bolster there with be a thick loom of wires to the left of the steering column the tach signal will be a white wire, it may take a little searching. Also it doesn't matter that you have a distributerless ignition the tach will read the same way, but there may be a jumper wire on the monster tach you have to cut to work on a 4 cyl.

·
Registered
45 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dsmjunkie:
I'm pretty sure that if you drop your knee bolster there with be a thick loom of wires to the left of the steering column the tach signal will be a white wire, it may take a little searching. Also it doesn't matter that you have a distributerless ignition the tach will read the same way, but there may be a jumper wire on the monster tach you have to cut to work on a 4 cyl.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I'll try that, and let everybody know if it works.

------------------
97 Talon TSi FWD/93 Probe GT

VTEC what?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed a 4" white VDO tach. It had 5 wires: 2 powers, 2 grounds and an RPM wire. The first 4 were easy.

I also have an old-style AFC. What I did was I spliced into the same wire off the ECU that the AFC uses for it's RPM signal and voila.....the gauge works perfectly.

Jason

·
Registered
45 Posts
Most of the DSM's pre-1997 should have a tach test port in the dead center of the firewall, in the engine bay. It is a black female connector taped to some split loom holding a bunch of wires, by black electrical tape.

Otherwise, you can use the wire at slot #78, i believe. Check the FAQ at club DSM for installing an AFC. My tach must be broken, cause that shouldve worked.

------------------
97 Talon TSi FWD/93 Probe GT

VTEC what?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YEAH my stock tach wont work either? It happened after I put in the new engine. I want to run it off my afc but I have not re installed it in my new car. Any Ideas?

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts