DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if these pictures help but my engine slide forward i think, and my motor mount bolt holes don't line up. I tried jacking it from the trans, and from the oil pan but I cant get them to line up. Does anyone else have a idea?

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
why was it pulled?

Anyway if the upper mount near the cam gears is installed, I would pull it. Petty much it makes sense to to me that you should install the aft mount 1st, the fwd mount 2nd, the trans mound 3rd and the cam gear mount last.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice I'll try that 2marow morning.

It was pulled out because my friend that it was neccassary for a timing belt job, long story short, when the tow truck guy dropped my car off at my house it slide foward/downwards

·
Registered
134 Posts
Loosen the mount bye your cam gears all the way loose. Take a long pry bar and pry the motor forward. When you jack your motor up you tweak it out of being perfectly centered so it can't drop right in. You need to just force it back.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Since you have poly mounts, you have to install them a certain way or it'll be a PITA trying to get the holes to line up. For the crossmember, unbolt it, then line up the holes on the mount and put the bolt in. Then bolt the crossmember back on and tighten everything up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, well it's leaning on the crossmember/ mount right now, so i guess i'll have to wait to get an extra one.
As far as my upper driver side mount, that mount as also been taken off, but I'll try to align that one first to see if it helps

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:
I tried unbolting the crossmember, but the two bolts connected to the front frame(I think) are rusted and won't come out. I wd-40ed it and cranked it around but It wouldn't come aloose.

As far as the upper mount, since the engine has slide foward Alittle, the bolt holes don't align up

·
Registered
938 Posts
If you have a ratchet strap, you can pull the motor back by going from the rear mount (on the frame), under the oil pan, and over the bracket on the front. Do you have poly mounts all the way around?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have a ratchet strap, you can pull the motor back by going from the rear mount (on the frame), under the oil pan, and over the bracket on the front. Do you have poly mounts all the way around?
Yes I do have them all around, and i will try this technique when i have a ratchet strap thanks.

does anyone else have any other ideas or methods?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Geez man that's not very safe at all. I know you gotta do whatcha gotta do, but at least buy 4 jack stands. They aren't very expensive. Would hate to hear that the car fell on you some day.:(

+/-$50 vs. hospital visit/funeral.

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,256 Posts
Get that out of there like that! Go get some jackstands! People die from that stuff every day and with even better setups than that.

·
Registered
255 Posts
At least get jack stands. I've had two scissor jacks fail on me luckly I was able to get out of the way in time. You may not be so lucky. My instructor from the shop class I took had a friend that watched his dad die because a jack failed on him with no jackstand and a dumptruck crushed him.

·
Registered
45 Posts
UPDATE:
I tried unbolting the crossmember, but the two bolts connected to the front frame(I think) are rusted and won't come out. I wd-40ed it and cranked it around but It wouldn't come aloose.

Aerokroil the rust bolts everyday for about a week, sometimes less. Then hit it an impacted. If you dont have one try tapping on the bolt head with a hammer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Like stated above, definitely invest in some jack stands, you can get a pair on Amazon for around $25 shipped! Really not something to mess around with, especially when the solution is so affordable. You should never get under a car like that. I don't want to scare you but if one of those jacks ever failed there's no guarantee that those bricks/slabs wouldn't slide out from each other.

Anyway, back to the bolts. Use a 1/2" socket on the bolts with something long for leverage whether it's a breaker bar or a torque wrench, something to give you some extra torque. You can also try putting the closed side of an open end wrench around the bolt and hitting it with a rubber mallet/dead blow hammer. The sudden force should break the bolts loose.

Obviously an impact wrench is your best bet but I'm assuming you probably don't have one or else you would probably already have the bolts out. Heating them with a torch is also good advice and will help.

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
I've always had great success by doing the roll stops (front and rear mounts) before the driver's side and trans mount.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do not have a torch but i do have a torque wrench with a long pipe for leverage. I try to take a hammer to hit to loosen the bolts, I'll post back after a good work on it

1 - 20 of 28 Posts