DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 94 1.8L Eclipse working recently, had to replace the head gasket and adjust the timing. This is the first time I've had it running since I've got it so I get to experience all the nuances of this automobile, and there's definately a few of them. It's showing a Check Engine Light which I will check tonight and see what codes come up but for now I'll just list the symptoms:

-When I try to start the car after it has been off for a few hours, I have to push the pedal all the way to the floor before starting, as if the engine is flooded. There is a strong smell of gasoline.

-When idling the engine kind of putters, and there are small amounts of black smoke that puff out of the exhaust pipe. The RPMs tend to bounce up and down around the 900 RPM mark.

-I've driven about 50 miles since I brought it home, I filled it up just after it started running, and now Im down to a little over half a tank. When I drive, it never seems to warm up, the temp. gauge is below the range marks.

-Between 25-45 MPH the car will buck and chug along if I try to maintain speed. If I accelerate it goes away. At 55 MPH or higher everything is fine, it drives pretty good. It also seems to stick in first gear, waiting till the last second to quickly jerk into second gear.

So that's all the symptoms I can think of right now. When I get those codes Ill post them up here, but for now I'm just looking for some suggestions. Thanks, appreciate it!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Seems like a bad (ect) Engine coolant Temperature sensor causing your computer to stay in open loop mode and dumping excessive fuel into the engine.

·
Registered
853 Posts
+1 on coolant temp sensor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright I got the codes it showed:

-Volume Air Flow Sensor
-Intake Air Temperature Sensor
-Idle Speed Control Motor Position Sensor
-Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
-Barometric Pressure Sensor

I unplugged the MAF and drove it, and it drove terrible. I couldn't get it above 10 MPH before it bucked and would not accelerate. I do need to replace my air filter, it is awful, could that be why its showing the Volume Air Flow Sensor and the Intake Air Temp sensor? Any more help on any of the error codes would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll hopefully be changing the sensor on Friday. Also going to clean the throttle body, change the oil, and possibly put a new fuel filter on. This car has been sitting awhile so it could probably use it.

Meanwhile, I check some other things that should have been checked before I got the car, turns out the air filter was horribly dirty. Grabbed a new one and seems to breathe a bit better. Secondly, I checked the transmission fluid because it has been shifting hard, and it was nearly bone dry! :mad:

Unfortunately I spilled fluid all over the place trying to fill it without a funnel so I waited till I got to work to refill it. Ill see how well it drives in about a half hour, but I cant imagine it would be any worse! Ill repost when I can about the coolant sensor. Thanks for the help! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update:

Well, I installed a new thermostat, set the idle motor, cleaned out the throttle body, and cleared the CEL. The car ran better than ever. Had a good idle, no more black smoke for the most part, and shifted and ran very smooth. Until I tried to blow the crap out of the exhaust... Pushed it to WOT, 5 seconds later, blew the upper radiator hose and the BRAND NEW HEAD GASKET. After putting up 300 dollars into this car that supposedly had no problems with it, I've decided to give up on it. :tat: Too many problems, nothing works quite right... maybe if I owned it before the previous owner it would have been taken care of properly but this car is beyond repair for what it is worth. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts