DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Earlier this month (8/08) I went to the 1/8th track in Sikeston Missouri with a group of local guys for test-n-tune night. I ran a couple of 9.0's @ 81 mph (2.25 60 ft time) in my non-lsd fwd on street tires without dropping any pressure from them at all (225/45/17 Kumho Ecstas with 30 lb in the front tires). I just drove around the water box and gave the tires one quick spin to clean the gunk off of them.

I also ran a whole lot of 9.1's @ 82 mph (2.3 60 fts). This was all accomplished at street boost (I didn't crank it up to something unrealistic for the track).

The car basically just has an exhaust, fuel pump, and the freebies: 2.5" turbo-back, Walbro190, JoeP MBC @ 16lbs, K&N, and RRE front motor mount insert. I also run Progress springs with GR-2's.

Without a doubt, my favorite part of the evening was turning over 110,000 miles on the odometer on the racetrack! :D All of the runs were made on the original stock clutch which was slipping pretty noticeably on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. With a new aftermarket clutch I would've been in the 8's without a doubt. With a new aftermarket clutch and a BM tranny limited-slip (next mods), I that think I could've been in the 8.7-8.8 range on street tires.

On the same night I was running, I witnessed a guy in a 2000 Civic Si running 10.0's chirping third (how do you just run a 10.0 and chirp third? some clutch!), a guy in an all-motor Civic hatch with a swap running 8.9-9.1's on drag radials, a guy in a nitrous Civic hatch with a swap and slicks running 8.1's-8.3's, and another guy with a nitrous hatch with a swap and slicks running high 7's.

The last time I went to the 1/4 track (before I got my downpipe) I was picking up about 21-22 mph down the 2nd half of the track and running 100-102 mph. If I am still picking up similar time in the 2nd half of the track, I should be trapping around 102-104 mph (but this is really just speculation based on past experience, I've never actually run faster than 102 mph on the 1/4).

Based on my 1/8th mile times, do you think I'll be able to hit 13's in the 1/4 with my current street trim setup? How much improvement do you think I might achieve with a decent clutch and a limited-slip? Do you think that I can knock another 10th or so off of my 60 fts and hit some 2.1's on street tires at normal pressure? Comments/criticisms are welcome, as always. :rudolph:

·
Registered
749 Posts
you need better tires, if im not mistakin a 8.0 flat dips you into the 12.5's or 12.7's so you should be in the mid to high 13's but if you get some radials you could be breaking high 12's to low 13's, hope this helps

peace

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TurboEclipseGSX said:
you need better tires, if im not mistakin a 8.0 flat dips you into the 12.5's or 12.7's so you should be in the mid to high 13's but if you get some radials you could be breaking high 12's to low 13's, hope this helps

peace
I think that you misread my post...I'm only running 9.0 at 81 in the 1/8th on street tires with my fwd. I wish that I were running some 8.0's on street tires! ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Being a FWD I thought I'd give you some comparison numbers to work with 9.1 at 86 mph in 1/8th gave me a 13.69 at 106.25 in the 1/4.

That's on street tires. Hope that helps you out alittle.

Mike

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snomongoose said:
Being a FWD I thought I'd give you some comparison numbers to work with 9.1 at 86 mph in 1/8th gave me a 13.69 at 106.25 in the 1/4.

That's on street tires. Hope that helps you out alittle.

Mike
That's a pretty good MPH for the 1/8th; What were your 60 ft's like with that particular timeslip, and what mods did you have?

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Poor 60' at 2.46.

Mods done so far are:

Dump pipe, 16G, Dejon side mount, Buschur UIP, Dejon LIP, KYB AGX rears, freebies's (Hacked MAF, Hacked Airbox, ported exhaust and O2, dropped some weight), K & N, Dejon 3 stage boost control, ACT2600 pressure plate with factory disc. Since that run I had the trans rebuilt by BMTranny.

Not to bad on the times considering I have stock exhaust with cat (180.000 miles).

Mike

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm trying to decide between the 2100 and the 2600...have you had any experience with clutches beside the 2600 in the fwd? How do you like it?

Are you still on the stock 450cc injectors? I used the pocketlogger on my car and I'm already maxxing out the injectors (hitting 102% duty cycle at times). Any thoughts about how hard you can push these little suckers? My 02's are still safe and rich (.92-.96 WOT).

Eventually I plan on upgrading to a 16G (when the 14b dies, I just can't seem to kill it!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually have only had the car on the road for about 5 months now, and after blowing the clutch sky high I talked to a couple of my buddies that work on DSM's.

They were explaining how a 2600 pressure plate with the stock GSX disc would be the best bet. Slips alittle more than just the ACT2600 which has a tenancy to be a bit grabby (good for AWD but bad for FWD).

The pressure plate and clutch actually feels great, haven't had any problems.

Injectors stock, haven't had any problems running lean as of yet, but only time will tell with this car. I has a mind of it's own.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts