DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that do not know, I decided to put the car back to a true street car. After running 9.9 a couple of years ago, it was clear the car would need some serious safety updates to continue to run that quick ( 10 point cage, window net, full fire suit, etc.. ). I knew if I did this, it would never be a street car again, and those that know me, know I have fought this battle for years. I have worked too hard to keep the car from not looking like an all out race car. So I decided to " slow it down ".

The goal was 600 WHP and low 10's. I put a full leather interior in it, a smaller quieter exhaust, and the wastegate dumps back into the FP 3" 02 housing. I installed a smaller FP turbo. The set up is much more street friendly.

The new set up consists of:

FP DSM82 HTA
FP Manifold
FP 3" 02 housing ( recirculating! )
BR 3" turbo back exhaust
Kelford 272's
Shep Stage IV trans with 4 Spider Diff
BR Stage III cylinder head with 1mm oversized valves
Pauter / Wiseco 1400 HD combo
ACT Twin Disc

The car has been to the track a bunch in the last few weeks. It seems to run quicker/faster every time out. So I took it back out Friday night. First pass it ran a [email protected], with a 1.49 60'. I was a bit upset because I knew that was the 60' I needed to run a 9. I told a few people it would do it.

I only waited 20 minutes or so, and after some prodding from Kevin, decided to run it again before the sun went down. I knew the launch felt good, hit all my shift points, and saw the 9.xx on the board as I went by. I was thrilled!

This is one bad ass set up. Here is the slip:

60' - 1.48
330 - 4.235
1/8 - 6.448
MPH - 109.32
1000' - 8.371
1/4 - 9.980
MPH - 140.31

Video link:

I am extremely happy with this set up. The car hauls ass on the street and clearly gets it done at the track. Of course I am right back where I started. :) I do NOT intend on putting the additional cage and safety gear in it. So once the track pulls me back to tech I will slow it down. I want to race it at Import Face Off in October. I think it has a bit more in it. ;)

·
Honorary Moderator
2,723 Posts
Great job! Car looks and runs amazing.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Badass car!! Love the plates!! Whats better is the red painted roll cage!!

Whats next, a faster slip? Whats the next safety upgrade if you run a quicker time?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like I've mentioned to you before at shootout, your car is a perfect example of what a dsm should be.
Thank you again. ;)

Badass car!! Love the plates!! Whats better is the red painted roll cage!!

Whats next, a faster slip? Whats the next safety upgrade if you run a quicker time?
Thank you. Well any 9 second pass is too quick for the cage the car has. It is only legal to 10.00. The car would need a full 10 point cage and window net at minimum. I would need to wear a full fire suit, next brace, gloves, etc... The deal breaker for me is the additional cage. It would go across the top of the windshield, down through the dash and tie into the floor. This with the window net would make the car very uncomfortable to street drive it, which is why I won't do it.

I am racing again next week at Import Faceoff, going to lean on it a bit more. I think it can run a 9.8x. Which will probably get me booted by tech. :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thank you again. ;)

Thank you. Well any 9 second pass is too quick for the cage the car has. It is only legal to 10.00. The car would need a full 10 point cage and window net at minimum. I would need to wear a full fire suit, next brace, gloves, etc... The deal breaker for me is the additional cage. It would go across the top of the windshield, down through the dash and tie into the floor. This with the window net would make the car very uncomfortable to street drive it, which is why I won't do it.

I am racing again next week at Import Faceoff, going to lean on it a bit more. I think it can run a 9.8x. Which will probably get me booted by tech. :)
I don't know, Mike. Ivey had the cage done in my Talon at Coast chassis and they hugged everything tight to the interior. I'm guessing because Sean is such a big dude. They went through the speaker provisions in the dash. Is that where you mean? The car is a bit tight with the window net in but you don't have to drive around with it. It is tight though. Its tight for me. I don't know how Ivey fit in it.

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
Its probably more that you head is inches from a bar on the street and your not wearing a helmet.

Mike,
You could put an evo16g or another stock appearing turbo in it and have a blast chasing low 10's and possibly another 9. I'm running a little turbo right now and it has been the most fun I've had since owing one in 2002. You are pretty limited on power, so you have to make it up with a good working chassis. The car also is very reliable, due to the low power.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts