DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Elite DSMtalker
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please refer to this post from the other thread to understand why it was in FWD mode.

evil~eagle said:
WOW, where do I start, lets back up from the MIR BOTI event, as most of you know we blew the motor at MIR 3 weeks back. I got back home and I busted my ass to get the car ready for BOTI in Vegas. Tuesday night I spent all night building a new motor, got it fired up the next morning, tested on a side road to break it in and loaded the car on the trailer and headed to Vegas Thursday morning. Granted I knew there was still a problem with the car, after getting the new motor fired up one valve was not sealing 100%, above 3500rpm it would clean up. But it was good enough so we took our chances as much of a die hard I am.

We got there all in one piece. Headed to the track on Friday for qualifying.
Right off the trailer with low boost, low timing in 103 degree weather I ran a 9.15 @157mph on my 4 season old Hoosier QTP DOT slicks, track was very loose through out the 1/8th mile and the car was moving around more then I liked.

2nd pass I made a couple of small adjustments and ran a 9.10 @160mph. Again track was very loose and could not get the car to hook. My 2nd qualifying pass put me in the #4 position out of 14 cars that tried to make the show, only 8 cars made the show. It was a huge turn out!

We loaded up and headed back to the hotel to get a good nights rest for eliminations the next day.
Next day we headed back out, it was 108 degrees and we knew the track was going to be tough on us.
1st round of eliminations I was lined up with some VW carmengia that was running 9.30's.
We both staged and I came out of the hole like a bat out of hell and my $1900 shep t-case snapped on me I looked over and the VW had problems as well, at this point it turned into a pedal fest all the way down the track, I was in FWD mode at this point and I spun damn near the whole 1/4 mile. The VW was all over the place too, it was pretty nuts, but I got the win light, PHEW!!

So we got the car back in the pits to inspect the damage, the entire front case of the t-case is busted wide open
At this point we were going into the semi finals. My team wanted to load the car up but I said hell no!! "Take the damn drive shaft off and the t-case, put the street tires on the back and lets borrow Dan's full M/T slicks and put them on the front and go FWD"
So we did just that! With no other option the car was FWD for the rest of the night. We got laddered up with the #1 qualifier Kenny Tran that was running 8.30's all day in his Scion TC. We knew we were not going to stand a chance, It's been so long since I have done a smokey burnout and I did just that, 2nd gear burnout in FWD form, it was the funnies thing we have seen, and then the craziest thing happened when we lined up. I pulled the car into the pre-stage bulb, Kenny did his burn out and the car died, he went to fire it back up and the starter would not engage the flywheel! I couldn't believe it!! I went ahead and ran my car spinning the whole way down the track, what a rush that was, the car was very hard to control since the chassis is not setup for FWD form, I still managed to click off a 10.78 @150mph LOL!! I got a free ride to the finals to face Bryan Jameniz and his chevy ecotec Cobalt.

In the finals I lined up with Bryan's Cobalt, that team really stepped it up and ran a 8.28 @166mph against my pathetic FWD form 10.8 @150mph.
I took runner up at this event.

This just goes to show everyone that ANYTHING can happen, we should have been gone in that 1st round after breaking the t-case, but we managed to pull the impossible with a new motor, broken parts and still went to the finals. Over all I am happy, but over all I am very upset with how our season is starting. 2 events and we have blown 1 motor, blown a $1900 shep t-case that only had 20 passes on it.
I will have some video of my FWD form runs later on.

And here is the video
Damn I miss doing burnouts like this haha!!!

Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq0VGPug-tk

·
Elite DSMtalker
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
eagle claw said:
Sorry to hear Jake, get that bitch down here to SLC on friday and I have a stock 23 spline tcase and driveline with your name on it!
Thanks so much man! but we are going to have to see. After blowing the motor at MIR 3 weeks ago, building a new motor, breaking the t-case, and the vegas trip to boot, needless to say we are broke as fuck.
Unless some of my Sponsors pony up and help out:eek: it's going to be very tough to get over there next weekend. We will try our hardest though!

·
Elite DSMtalker
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
firebirdvert305 said:
LOL I just laughed my ass off. That was pretty sweet to see though. How was the torque steer? LOL 149mph still, sick.

Jesus man, the torque steer was retarded!! It scared the shit out of me in 3rd gear and the top of 4th gear, if you listen close you can hear the car breaking the tires loose right at the end in 4th gear:eek:
I was under the impression this Shep Dogbox had a limited slip in it, apparently not since I was getting a one wheel wonder going on in the burnout. I'm a bit disappointed about that as well, but meh, what can I do?:dunno:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I`m with you on the money thing. Racing a $50,000 car at events that pay ~$1,000 will leave the old bank account dry! The $500 runner-up money won`t even pay the expenses for going to the event.

I guess that`s why we do it for fun:dunno:

·
Elite DSMtalker
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FWDEMON said:
Does that mean i'm need 800+ hp to get to 10's!?!?!?!? I thought it was I could get there with less hp:confused:
I'm FWD by the way.
Good job, remember your not making power if you don't break anything!

HA, no you don't need that much power, infact I was over powering the track by a long shot with how much the car is making right now, the chassis is setup for AWD, not for FWD. So nothing was setup for FWD mode. If it was it would have gone deep into the 9's maybe even high 8's.

I think with wheelie bars (traction bars for FWD cars) 28"x10.5" slicks up front, and the chassis re worked for FWD the car would go faster then what it could do in AWD form. I say this cause I have seen it with my own 2 eyes at these events, these FWD guys are wooping my ass out of the hole with low 1.3 60ft's or even high to mid 1.2x 60ft's and running mid to low 8's!
Right now I am really considering converting this thing to FWD after talking with allot of the pro teams with there FWD cars. It's all still up in the air right now.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Well, the added weight, the added drive train loss, rotational weight etc does not help thats for sure. I would figure with the AWD though that you would cut better 60 foots then the FWD but then again.. I am still pretty much a novice.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Man, I just have to comment, you have propably the best attitude of any DSM'er at this level. You're friendly informative and still have the never say die attitude. I got all butt hurt because my cheapy 50trim died early. I love awd for the street but there's better ways to get a car down the track.

Best wishes hope the rest of the season goes better!

·
Registered
292 Posts
boominmypants said:
Man, I just have to comment, you have propably the best attitude of any DSM'er at this level. You're friendly informative and still have the never say die attitude. I got all butt hurt because my cheapy 50trim died early. I love awd for the street but there's better ways to get a car down the track.

I agree 100%! I have to say in the Un-gayest way ever that I get excited when I see you post a new thread. That was sick tho pulling off the 4th gear spins down the track!

Hope your season gets better..

·
Registered
61 Posts
boominmypants said:

+2:)

·
Elite DSMtalker
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys! It means allot to me to hear things like that. It's what keeps me pushing forward to what I am doing. Looks like we "might" just beable to make the Utah event this weekend:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.