DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my car painted at earl scheib for $650 after doing a 2gb conversion, it was their top of the line package, the color is victory red. I didn't do any prep work myself, all I did was take off the headlights, tail center piece and some small stuff. I'm surprised it turned it so glossy, my friend took it to the same place and got the same package but his was white, and it was very dull :dunno: . Anyways, I would have to say they f%#d up on a lot of small things, there a whole bunch of little indents all around the car, they painted the splash guards, they masked the car pretty well though. Compared to my brothers rsx he got painted with maaco's 2nd best package, I would say his turned out better, the body work was better/smoother, and the paint was flawless (no indents or anything) except he paid $800 for his. Oh well, all in all I'm pretty satisfied, all I need now is to find some door caps from a 2gb and slap my other rims on, then I'm ready for MOD, heres the pics.

Right after I got it back from the shop

And my brother's RSX (excuse the chipping paint on the bumper, it scrapped a lot)

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
What do you expect for that price though??

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I expect to pay somewhere around $2,000 for my paintjob and I will be doing what I can to prep the car myself to keep costs down. I plan on a lot of clear coats though to keep the paint as safe as possible.

I would never go to Earl or Maaco though, its the Wal Mart of paint jobs.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Not bad for 600 dollars. It'll be interesting to see how nice it stays for how long. Did you guys try rubbing out the rsx with a good polish and compound. IT may come to life for ya

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
Is it SS or B/C?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
K_Mans_TSI said:
Is it SS or B/C?
???

I'm happy with how it looks like, especially for $600, I wouldn't spend $2000 on a paint job for this car, then I would just have to save up even more for an evo, lol. Even, its a 13 year old car, not going to go bankrupt to have nice paint. And it comes with a lifetime warranty. :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ferriolom said:
Not bad for 600 dollars. It'll be interesting to see how nice it stays for how long. Did you guys try rubbing out the rsx with a good polish and compound. IT may come to life for ya
Haha, my brother doesn't care about that car anymore, his gf drives it now.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Nice looking paint job. Looks like a 3,000 paint job to me.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Can't beat it, not for that price. It's always a gamble going to an Earl Scheib or Maaco, but your car looks really good. You may have durability issues with the paint in the long run, but like some of these guys said; expensive paint work is expensive for a reason.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I know the manager, thats how I got the deal, so I know he'll honor the lifetime warranty. Thanks for the comments everybody.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Looks like normal orange peel to me.

Car just needs to be wetsanded and buffed out. Should look stellar when it's all done.

No matter who sprays what, you'll never have that 'glass' look until it gets cut and buffed.

$600 paint + 5hrs sand/buff > $3000 paintjob for a DD.

Sadly, they should look about the same if you prep and finish it the same way. Quality of materials will change however though.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Looks good enough for a daily driven car that is never garaged! I had my old 95 Talon painted at Maaco for $500. Came out alright but had little specs of garbage in the paint. Hated that! I also hated that the masking wasn't all that great. They painted a part of the Sunroof Seal and some of the windshield and rear windshield seals. I had to really buff it to get it to shine. I had alot of orange peel but was able to buff it to be as smooth as glass, but it was alot of work and alot of hours.

My question is did you or they remove the bumper than painted it to protect the FMIC from overspray?
That would be my ultimate peeve! That and overspray on the muffler.

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
If that's SS next spring you'll be singin a different tune about value. :p

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its a basecoat/clearcoat, I think its 3 coats of base and 2 coats of clear. I just removed the headlights, I guess they did a really good masking job on the fmic. I plan to get it wet sanded by them too, they were charging $250 and I didn't have the money so its going to have to wait.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It doesn't look bad especially for the money.

I guess im lucky my cousin builds and paints choppers and is willing to paint a car every now and then.

·
Registered
116 Posts
not bad! I had my car prepped by a body shop, and since their spray booth was busted they sent it to maaco. I was very nervous at first, but this is how it came out. Mine cost me $500 after body work.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts