DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just remembered every detail of my very first race, so i figured i'd tell ya. Well im going up interstarte 75 and I see two little civics bouncing around like popcorn balls. I figure...lets see what this laser is made of (i got the car two days before this). Well i downshift from 5 to 3rd at about 65 and coast up to around 90 when I then decide to go for it. I hit the gas with everything I got and redline forth at like seriously 106-107 and at this point my brandnew catback is screaming. Midway through 5th I'm finally out of traffic and right on the ass of the two civics and they then tell me to slow down and get onto the next exit. So we all turn on the exit and pull onto a 2 lane road. At the first red light a line up next to one of the civics (a 96 Ex) and he says to me...pretty dsm. That just pissed me off. But i was suprised this punk even knew what a dsm was by the way he wore that visor. Well anyway the light hit green and my foot hit the floor. Half way through I look over I have atleast 2 car length son him. So I let off in 3rd at around 75 thinking that I have the win. But at soon as I slow to about 55 his buddy comes up next to me in his other civic and says hey wanna go with me? I'm thinking great another civic. Well to make it short, we mee the light and I'm full of confidence. I give my engine a little rev and then i hear his. SHIT!!! is that a blow off valve I hear. he smiles and when it's green he off. I redline first gear through 3rd gear but it's only enough to stay within 5 car lengths. Damn you never know with those civics. I tyalked to the guy afterwards Turns out hes runnin a B16 w/ a turbo holdin about 12 psi. Quick little car. Well these are my very first races ever, and damn were they exciting.......

·
Registered
136 Posts
damn man, i guess it shows how much weight is in affect. a little 1.6 with a turbo and 12psi and he put 5 cars on ya? i guess some of those civics are fast. i heard this story about one with freakin 900hp but only like 300 something ft lbs of torque. lol, o well

:(

·
Registered
423 Posts
Lol, 12 psi on that honda motor? Did he say he lowered his compression ratio or anything? This guy at my work had a turbo civic si running 6-8 psi, i was under the impression thats all the could handle without upgrades to the block. Wonder how long that motor will last at 12psi.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I know I'm going to sound OLD here, but BE CAREFUL! You're getting off of a highway, and following some PUNKS???!!! Just what do you have to prove, anyway? I have turned down races from people who are DEAD now.
One time, I was driving down the road; when this car came up behind me, and started REALLY tailgating me. Being young, and having 9 years of Karate training; I freaked out, and challenged the driver to pull over. It was late at night, and very dark; so I couldn't see into their car. Very confidently, I got out of my car and ran to theirs with my fists ready to go. Out jumps my older brother. He makes his hands like a gun, and says, "BANG! You're dead!" while pointing his finger at my head. It's just that easy. You NEVER know who or what you're up against, and I never forgot that lesson.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
bbp said:
Lol, 12 psi on that honda motor? Did he say he lowered his compression ratio or anything? This guy at my work had a turbo civic si running 6-8 psi, i was under the impression thats all the could handle without upgrades to the block. Wonder how long that motor will last at 12psi.
You can easily run 12 PSI on a honda motor. However not with stock internals you are correct.
Most FI si's don't know how to do it right.
I've seen nicely done 6th gen si's with the likes of 15-17 PSI that spend just as much as those idiots running 6-7psi with the same kit.

As long as you know how to do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts