DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i drive a 92 awd turbo laser and whenever i turn i my rear wheels lock up and make grinding noises what could me the problem? I changed the gear oil but the wheels still lock up. can anybody help

·
Registered
396 Posts
does it drive fine when you're going straight? Does it get worse if you're backing up? Sounds kinda like a broken center differential or a heated and welded together Viscous Coupling (I've had both). Oh yeah...and when you say "lock up" you mean you can hear/feel them lock unlock, and kinda break loose in gravel?

Curt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it runs perfectly when i drive straight i just hear it when i turn. I know that the wheels lock up because when my friend drove it i saw the rear wheels stop spinning. Also i olny hear the grinding noise when i turn. Do you think it has anything to do with the car not being driven in about six months because i guy i bought the car from said it never locked up before. Could it be something else?

·
Registered
396 Posts
well, it's transfer case, rear differential (which I don't think it could be), or inside the tranny the center diff or viscous coupler. Try finding some gravel and back up in a circle. if the wheels kick and act choppy then that's where the problem lies. It's a drivetrain mechanical problem for sure. It's hard to say, but the most common is the center diff. If you're mechanically inclined you could pull it out fairly easy in a few hours (have a gear puller handy). If you need more help get me online. my aim name is NiNeT1dsm and I've done all the above mentioned so I know what to do.

Curt

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same problem with my Galant VR-4. I have been told someone probably towed it on 2 wheels before I bought it.

Essentially your car is running in 4WD mode all the time.... Thats why the inside wheels scrub and buck a bit when you turn sharply...the wheels are trying to spin the same speed.

Same thing as having a welded center diff so I am told...

·
Registered
668 Posts
it seems

it seems that my car might be doing the same thing. I just post a thread about it in "Help Tech" if you guys want to check it out. When i turn sharp at low mph my car kinda jumps just like you say. Like the wheels are trying to spin at the same rotation. Will this hurt anything or make you run worse...?????
-Ryan

·
Registered
605 Posts
The differential pinion gears are probably locked up. Might have too much backlash in the ring and pinion gears in the rear differential. is it a limited-slip differential?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts