DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why? Why? Why? I took my timing belt off and I was able to turn the damn cams by hand like there was nothing putting force against the cams, hense the rocker arms, so I took off the valve cover to find this. What would cause this? What else did I "F" up? I was driving 55mph in 5th gear when this happened. Also, how do I put these son's bitches back on?
Thanks for your help!!
Nick

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RabidDonkeyBoy said:
get a manual it will detail how to do most jobs pretty well, even a hayes or chilton manual :eek:
Have one, it only tells you how to do it on the 1.8l in the SHITons.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Unless I'm being stupid, your valves are bent. They aren't returning fully, which allows too much gap between the rocker and the cam, which allows the rocker to fall off.

You can put the rocker arms back on by just taking out the cams, but it sounds like you get to rebuild your head now.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AudioGod said:
What happened at 55 MPH in 5th gear? I'm assuming you lost your timing belt, but you never said so.
Whats up man, your in Sterling Hts too? This is what Im thinking happened:
Driving along, oil pump seized breaking off about 1 ft of timing belt teeth, the belt slipped on the crank and the pistons hit the valves. I don't have the head off yet because I cant find a damn 11mm allen hex head socket. But I will find out sooner or later.

·
Registered
356 Posts
it is common to have the rockers fall off after a t belt failure! some of mine actually cracked and fell apart leaving little pieces of metal and their bearings in the oil pan...ouch :(

I too all most gauruntee you bent some valves.

sorry

rob

·
Registered
356 Posts
its 10mm hex...you can get them from craftsman, or basically any place like home depot, lowes, etc

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
talonman69 said:
its 10mm hex...you can get them from craftsman, or basically any place like home depot, lowes, etc
The outside head bolts are 10mm hex, the ones in the center are 11mm.

·
Registered
356 Posts
really, wait are you talking about the flat hex in the middle row...those DO NOT come out! they are freeze plugs i believe from casting the head.

rob

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
talonman69 said:
really, wait are you talking about the flat hex in the middle row...those DO NOT come out! they are freeze plugs i believe from casting the head.

rob
Ill take a picture when i get home and post it to show what I am talking about.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Yikes... SilverTSI, when we took the valve cover off and cleaned the lifters, it was hard to get the rockers back on... my friend used a long screw driver as leverage to manhandle them back on...

No word yet on my car or the problem... hopefully in the next few weeks we'll know??:(

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You don't these bolts??

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Nope, those are just freeze plugs, Nick, you need just 10mm for the head bolts. If the rockers fell off, you either bent valves (which is obvious if 1 foot of the teeth on the t-belt's missing) or your lifters collapsed..

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Taboo said:
Nope, those are just freeze plugs, Nick, you need just 10mm for the head bolts. If the rockers fell off, you either bent valves (which is obvious if 1 foot of the teeth on the t-belt's missing) or your lifters collapsed..
Thanks Martin!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts