DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

My set-up: 2g AWD, 2.3 stroker, evoIII, A/T

46K views 225 replies 62 participants last post by  LatDSM 
#1 ·
Just for the record and to piss off Asmodeus, here is a list of what all is getting put on my car today and for the next week or so. Or better yet, what mods will be on the car once this build is over:

Engine 2.3 stroker with
Wiseco +0.02” pistons
Pauter rods
ARP rod bolts
Clevite bearings
Remaned 4g64 crank
Apex'i filter
Injen intake to turbo
MHI EVOIII 16G turbo
MHI EVOIII exhaust manifold
Apex'i N1 3" Turbo-back
OBX Intercooler 455x257x63,5
short route intercooler piping
Greddy Type-S by-pass
Greddy 8S spark plugs
Walbro 255lph
PTE 580cc injectors
Prothane motor mounts
Reworked, ported and polished 2g head

For tuning and control
Greddy Profec-B boost controller
Apex'i AFC Neo
Apex'i FPR
Greddy boost gauge
Wideband 02 sensor
A/T temp gauge
Apex'i full auto turbo timer

Freshly rebuilt tranny with
IPT Performance Transmission rebuild kit
IPT trans cooler
IPT High Stall torque convertor
TransLab shift-kit

suspension and brakes will stay as they were
H&R springs
Koni adjustables
PCP front strut bar
Brembo drilled/slotted rotors
Ferrodo sport brake pads

So there :banana:

See less See more
#3 ·
bluemike819 said:
Nice.....did you win the lottery?
Nah, just buying parts over the summer, storing everything on a shelf.

That means - I have not calculated the total cost and I don't want to know :wall: because I'm sure it will make me want to :puke:

#4 ·
Curious as to why you're going with such a small turbo on a stroker. The turbo is basically going to have an on/off switch in terms of boost. Is it temporary or are you sticking with that?

#5 ·
11secdsm said:
Curious as to why you're going with such a small turbo on a stroker. The turbo is basically going to have an on/off switch in terms of boost. Is it temporary or are you sticking with that?
1) Streetability in the city.

2) spool time ;)

3) Auto trans means I want as much torque and power as low as possible and as fast as possible. Extention of power band via cam gears and cams will come later once all the bugs with the set-up are worked out and tuned in.

P.S. and honestly - who has ever gone with a bigger turbo and sticked to it, never wanting more? :huh:

#7 ·
your going to love the trans set up, its going to make your car feel sooo much faster especially with a launch that'll make u spin all four now :)
i have same mods... but stock motor and just a evo3 16g... tuned.. i cut 1.6 60 foots with my auto, enjoy

#20 ·
I don't get what you guys are griping about with him starting with a 16g. It isn't like it's an expensive turbo that you would feel bad tossing when he wants to upgrade and if I had a budget I'd defiantely work the engine and go with a smaller turbo before I upgraded. At that point I would hook my friend up who needed a 16g cheap or sell it here.

Also if you have never ever driven an automatic dsm you probaly not understand what Latdsm is getting at anyway.

#21 ·
LatDSM said:
:burnout:

I'm pretty sure it will not fully spool by 500rpms ;) I'd say more like 2500-3000rpm
I love ya man... but you are out of your fucking :tree:
:rolleyes:

A: You did not address the cam issue.
FYI stroker motors like a bigger cam than you can physically put in it.
280's. FP3's... comp makes some just for this engine...
You are pissing over 50whp down the toilet.
Easy.
B: EvoIII would be like putting a 9b on a built 2.0l
A .57 trim bb turbo with a stage 3 turbine housing spools 25psi by 2800 rpm on 2.0l with comp 201's. 1mm o/s valves and 9-1 ross's ... with a race core front mount to pressurize as well...
Read what I just said one more time.
and again...

A small wet bearing 50 trim will be boost on tap on a 2.3l
You have no idea how much that thing breathes.
You are going to have SERIOUS boost control problems on the 16g.

I agree with Stephen, as far as starting off. But the 16g is not your turbo.
Run your stock turbo on break in. Then buy a 50 trim.

#23 ·
Asmodeus said:
A: You did not address the cam issue.
FYI stroker motors like a bigger cam than you can physically put in it.
280's. FP3's... comp makes some just for this engine...
You are pissing over 50whp down the toilet.
Easy.

B: EvoIII would be like putting a 9b on a built 2.0l
A .57 trim bb turbo with a stage 3 turbine housing spools 25psi by 2800 rpm on 2.0l with comp 201's. 1mm o/s valves and 9-1 ross's ... with a race core front mount to pressurize as well...

You are going to have SERIOUS boost control problems on the 16g.
B is the reason for not addressing A. I had cams, cam gears in the works but scratched that. Why? To limit power potential and put a flow bottleneck that I can easily address at any point in time after the build up and before the turbo.

Limited intake = limited exhaust = helps keep boost under control.

P.S. The t25 is toast anyway, and a few guys locally are already
over the potential to buy the evo3 off me.

P.S.S. originally I did not intend to rebuild the engine yet, 150k miles is what forced me into doing the engine as well and there is no point in building a 2.0 if the 2.3 will cost more or less the same and you need torque for your auto anyway.

#26 ·
Yea, you'll have all the low end you need. But absolutely no top end. People outflow the evo16g on a 2L at 5.5K rpms on the right setup (i did). I know you'll most likely end up going bigger but don't be upset if we say i told ya so!

Good luck with the rebuild. Should be interesting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.