DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ordering an UIC pipe...da**it! I need one, I want one, and I deserve one! So tell me; which one has the best performance in you guy's opinions. Buschur seems to have a decent price...

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
871 Posts
i got the hrc stage 3 kit, upper,lower,middle pipes. goes from the turbo to the throttle body, flanged for a type-s or modified 1g bov. real nice welds and fully mandrel bends. i think you can get it from hrc direct for $250 for all three pipes. when i was shopping for pipes a year ago they were the cheapest.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
I agree, for the bang for the buck I think the D. Drode pipe is the way to go. It only goes from the intercooler to the flex after the bov flange but it is great to go with mild mods.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just installed my Dave Brode UIP yesterday. The link above must be an old one. His pipe now costs $95 since that 90* elbow is now a pipe instead of rubber hose (much more stable and reliable). If you get his pipe, you MUST have a 2G throttle body elbow or something similar. The pipe is 2 1/2" or 2.25" while the stock 1G TB elbow is only 1 7/8". Not a good match. Dave Brode also sells custom 2G TB elbows for $60. I just called Tallahassee Mitsu and it was shipped to my door with a gasket with 2-3 day air for only $42. So that seems the best deal. If you decide to get his pipe, don't get the couplings that come with it. I found out the hard way. Save the $6 or so and go buy a foot of heavy duty coolant hose 2 1/2" diameter. it's expensive, I paid $14/ft. But it does a hell of a better job than the couplings that Brode includes. His couplings are weak and flimsy rubber that really expand when you turn up the boost. I blew the pipe right out the hose on my very first run, and it was double clamped. The other night at the track, a guy with same pipe on a 1G, blew it out two runs in a row. he was also using the same couplings that Brode provided.
The other inexpensive option is, and I don't know anything about his product quality, is a guy that sells them on thepartstrader.com. I believe he goes under the name BRCORP or Bill R now. Just do a search for UIP. He sells 1G UIP WITH 2G TB ELBOW all for only $160. I don't know how the quality of his couplings or performance is but that seems like a good deal. My setup ran $105 UIP shipped, $42 2G TB elbow shipped, and $14 for coolant hose. So it comes out to $164, same price if you ask me!!
I just know that the Brode pipe has a lot of praise in the DSM community, but don't know much about the Bill R (BRCORP) pipe. So it's ur call.

Hope this helps you out a bit. If not, just ask.

Mike
90 Laser Turbo FWD
[email protected]
2.167 0-60'
And soon to go much faster now that I have a UIP!!! hehe

------------------
"Usually when you go for broke, you get there."
"It's hard to go home a winner if you never go home."

·
Registered
157 Posts
The link 2 posts above is for a 2G. Thats why the price is different. It's $95 for a 1G. Here's the addy where you can find it. www2.famvid.com/turbodsm/products/dbuic.html

This gives you a few pics of the UIP installed and some info about it.

Mike

------------------

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just got my pipe 4 weeks ago. Sad to hear it now goes all the way to the throttle body elbow!!!!!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yeah, I'd recommend the DB pipe for mild mods. He does pretty high quality work.

[This message has been edited by Jehu (edited September 13, 2000).]

·
Registered
205 Posts
anyone try the Greddy IC kit? Its $250 for the kit at RRE. I thought its a great price. But any likes or dislikes about it? I'm planning on getting one. I heard its the one that fits the best.

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
157 Posts
Don't know what kind of downpipe or what size you are looking for, but I just went the economic route and had a muffler shop make me one. I couldn't tell you the price since they made the entire system for me. But i got a decent price. 2.5" dp, 2.5 flex section, into 3" hi-flo cat (emmissions here in Chicago) into 3" cat back system. All this for $600, including muffler and all flanges and hangars necessary to make the system. Granted it's pressbent aluminized steel, but it was also over $700 cheaper than stainless pre-fab.
There are very few if any shops here in Chicago area that deal in mandrel bending. Mostly on the coasts i guess. I wasn't gonna worry about the little flow i lose due to thepress bend since i'm on a budget and this was the cheapest way to go. Hey i picked probably .3 in the 1/4. So, i think it's worth it.

Mike
90 Laser Turbo FWD

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks,
I followed the link to Brode's place and e-mailed him. I asked him what's custom about his 2g throttle body elbow...I'll let everybody know what I find out. I think if I get his pipe I'm gonna have it chrome-plated. What do you think? Where can I get some good, and cool (if exist) clamps for this set-up?

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dave told me his 2G TB elbow was ported a little more than stock but also required some type of flange to mount it. At the time i ordered my pipe and TB elbow, he didn't have any flanges and was waiting for them to come in. I didn't have the time to wait since I had a race last weekend, I told him to drop the TB elbow from my order. I ended up calling Tallahassee Mitsu and they got it to my house in 3 days!!!
I believe you can get the clamps and couplers at any hardware or automotive store. Just check around. Not sure what type or style you are looking for but the ones he has are really cheesy. Way too much flex for me, but I also plan on running about 20psi so i needed something sturdy.

Mike

------------------

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, talked to Dave and this is what I found out. I am getting one! His pipe is 2.5" vs the 2.25" from Buschur, etc. His throttle body elbow is "custom", not a "worked" 2gen. I'm gonna get his elbow too. I figure for the $20 or less difference; his custom elbow is probably better, if even only slightly.
Thanks again and I'll post my review when I get it on the car!

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
729 Posts
The only reason i don't get the DB pipe is because the 2 1/4 pipes provide optimum intake velocity compared to the 2.5 in. If he made a 2 1/4 i might already have one.

But i have a costom job in mind. Its top secret, but if it works i'll post on it. supplize should come in tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts