DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car 1992 Talon TSi AWD

Freshly rebuilt motor (to my knowledge)
150compression across the board.

Here's my problem, when i start my car when it's cold there is no smoke but a little white probably condensation. It's a straight pipe off the turbo.

If i leave it idling, maybe a little smoke, but again nothing really. As soon as i rev the car up grayish blue smoke comes out the exhaust. Quite a bit of smoke, and it smells like oil. The car used to have an blown 14b, there was a ton of shaft play and the car used to smoke really really bad. Since i changed the turbo there is still smoke if i rev it up it'll smoke quite a bit. And then it'll smoke lightly at idle for around 30seconds then stop smoking all together. When i'm driving the car seems fairly slow and smoke comes out of the exhaust on WOT, but nothing really at cruising speeds. But every time i go WOT it smokes nicely. If i go down a really big hill on decel with it in gear and give it gas to go up the other side there is no notable smoke.

Could this just be left over oil from the other turbo being smoked? I'll pull off my intercooler tomorrow and clean it with gasoline?

Compression is good at 150, it's a brand new evo3 16g, i'm thinking the oil other thing is valve stems, but it doesn't match the description of burnt stems.

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Best thing is to tear out the exhaust mani. From there you can have a good visual on the exhaust valves and turbo housing. Also pull plugs out and check piston top for oil buildup. It doesn't take long for an oil soaked housing to clear of smoke. I'm saying also valve stem seals.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Whenever it smoke after sitting on startup - valve seals.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes valve seals. When I purchased my car with 190k on the OD it portrayed the same symptoms. Smoke at idle and start up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.