DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of changing my front brake pads and I just stripped the fuck out the the locknut key :mad: . It stripped on the last lug nut tightening the first side up so the tire is tight but I can not remove the second tire to do the other side.

I know I can't drive with new pads only on the one side, what should I do?

I don't have just one lock nut eiather, all 5 are lock nuts. I can't even remove the key from my 19mm it's stripped so badly.

I don't care if I ruin the lock nuts as I got some spare lug nut's I could slap on for the mean time but I am a little scared to take a socket and hammer it on the locknuts just incase it just slippes and I'm screwed.

I just need to remove the locknuts so I can do the second pads and I dont care like stated before if the lock nuts get fucked up.

Sorry for the language but I'm pretty pissed right now .

Any and all suggestions is welcome.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Most tool stores sell extractor sockets; they have a spiral pattern inside the socket that bites onto stripped bolts. you have to pound the socket on, then loosen. They work very well, but if that doesn't work you can use an air hammer with a chisel bit (work the nut counterclockwise). Last resort= break out the torches and plan on replacing the stud and possibly the wheel.

.....Search "extractor" on here, I believe someone posted a link a little while back.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's pretty stripped, I can't even get the key off my 19mm right now. Any suggestions for seperating the 2? I have thrown it on the cement several times, kinda a good stress releaver but it still didn't pop out.

·
Registered
284 Posts
axemurderer said:
It's pretty stripped, I can't even get the key off my 19mm right now. Any suggestions for seperating the 2? I have thrown it on the cement several times, kinda a good stress releaver but it still didn't pop out.
Place the socket on a hard surface (preferably a vise, but concrete will work) on it's side. Hit the SIDE of the socket with a hammer, and it should pop out.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
goalieman24 said:
Just wondering why you use 5 locks... besides to give yourself a headache?
It was the set I bought off ebay, just came with 20 locknuts. I am going to change them after this whole headache thou. I got a shop to just weld the 2 together so now I got one big lock nut lol but it should work till I replace the nuts. Thank God. I know the owner too so all it cost me was a beer run for them :) .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.