DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 talon awd a/t the scanner says that i have a tcm faluire which i think might mean trans controll module. im not sure but the car has a full fluid level it doesnt leave a spot when i park it(no leaks) but i was driving along and it was just like someone reached over and slipped the trans into nuetral. car wont go it just revs. so i thought well i blew a trans. the thing is if you let the car sit for 5 minutes turned off and then start it it will drive for a hundred feet or so then it starts to slip and then it wont pull again untill you shut it off and start over. also when it pulls agin it wont shift from first gear it just puls then dies so is it possible i have a module to replace or do i start hunting down a new trans? please help as this is my only car and i need to get it going again

·
Registered
66 Posts
Definitely sounds like the TCU if that is the error you are getting and shutting the car off temporarily fixes it. I have heard that the TCU also has capacitors that go bad. Might be your problem.

Any other AT DSMs you can borrow a TCU from to test? Check all the wiring in the mean time (Trans to TCU).

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I had a weird situation on my '91 tsi and I solved it by unplugging and checking and respacing a couple of the contacts on the connectors.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I had a weird situation on my '91 tsi and I solved it by unplugging and checking and respacing a couple of the contacts on the connectors. My tcu did go bad on one other occasion though.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You have a TCM error, why don't you try resolving that first instead of worrying about hunting down a new trans?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replys. im also thinking that it might be my tps due to the fact that the tps falure code came up on the scanner before the tcm code did also i had a very similar problem with a jeep i had and replaceing the tps fixed it. any input on the tps's relation to the trans working would be great. right now im just waiting on the cash to start fixing things

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the tps info i suppose im going to buy a tcm as soon as i can. i have a lead on one so when i get it ill post weather or not it fixed the problem

·
Registered
830 Posts
2bar tsi said:
thanks for the tps info i suppose im going to buy a tcm as soon as i can. i have a lead on one so when i get it ill post weather or not it fixed the problem
go to the following website:
http://www.plymouthlaser.com/tcucodes.htm

try to pull the TCU codes. if you dont get any, i would pull the tcu, remove the cover and check the capacitors for leaks. you might also check the board to make sure there is no corrosion on the leads.

FYI: i went in to limp mode a while back and when i scanned my car it gave me a 'bad tcm' code. the only thing that was wrong was that a wire on the transmission that went to one of the shift solenoids was unhooked. rewired and havent had a problem since!

hope this helps!

ADAM

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the info adam. i couldnt quite figure out how to pull the codes properly so i went to the next step and pulled the tcu out and pulled the cover off. to my surprise the thing looked brand new as though it had just been replaced. no leaks no corosion nothing that even remotly looked bad. i work in elctronics and i know what burnt circut boards smell like and this thing smells good so my next question is where do i look for these wires and if you could email me a few pics of there location and what you did i would appreciate it greatly. [email protected] thanks chaz

·
Registered
830 Posts
2bar tsi said:
i couldnt quite figure out how to pull the codes properly.
you really need to do this.. do you have a multimeter?

Also, look at this:

This shows where you need to stick the leads of the multimeter(dont use the aligator clips that they suggest.. just use the needle points). Basically, all you need to do is count 3 pins from the far right of the OBDII plug. that is the lead to touch with your positive multimeter probe. skip the next lead to the left and stick the negative multimeter probe on this lead.

Your multimeter should jump up to about 12 volts or so(it did on my 1g, at least). You are looking for the long pulses and the short pulses. Start at a count of 0. add 10 to the count for each long pulse and 5 for each short(the TCU wont "mix" the pulses... it will do all of the longs followed by all of the shorts. you just add up the number and check the code by the chart on that website i gave you.

keep trying.. if you have questions about something... ill try to help out! its REALLY not a hard thing to do at all! you might consider having a friend with you to add up the value of the pulses while you hold the probes in place. this just makes it even easier.

2bar tsi said:
so i went to the next step and pulled the tcu out and pulled the cover off. to my surprise the thing looked brand new as though it had just been replaced.
thats awesome! exactly what you wanted! i doubted it was the TCU itself, but its always a safe bet to eliminate all possibilities.

2bar tsi said:
where do i look for these wires and if you could email me a few pics of there location and what you did i would appreciate it greatly.
the wire i was referring to was the blue(i think) wire that was actually on the transmission under the hood. i guess the guy i bought my car from had cut the wires for some reason. then, when he wired everything back up, he just twisted the ends of the wires together and wrapped electrical tape around it. this was bad because i had a leaking valve cover and some of the oil that leaked got on top of the tranny and the tape gave way, therefore, disconnecting the wire.

all i did was remove all of the tape and re-connected everything using some 14-maybe 16 gauge- butt connectors.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
can i use a digital multimeter or does it have to be analog because i only have the digital so that may be my problem in diagnosing. this wire you speak of on the tranny is it all by itself or in a harness with a bunch of others? also i didnt start having probs with my car untill after i installed a a/f gauge. i tried to find the wire at the ecu for it but i couldnt so i went out to the o2 sensor itself. lots of people told me that that might be part of my problem but im not really sure how a gauge could be doing all this. also i was told that these problems also arise after installing the safc2 that was in the car when i bought it. im really lost here, anyone in the cleveland ohio area that might consider coming out to look at it with me sum weekend ill buy the beer and pizza.

·
Registered
830 Posts
damn... i wish i wasnt in missouri... i would definitely come over to help you out! especially if it included free beer and pizza!

the wire i am talking about was a wire by itself on the top of the transmission. to be honest, i dont know what the installation of an AFC or a A/F guage would do to your transmission. Is there another thread you are discussing this on, as well? If I could read some of the other suggestions people are giving you, I would be glad to help out with a little bit of research.

I just wanna get you out there and running, man! Sounds like you have a decent setup and I hate to see any fellow DSMers stuck with something like this!

By the way, the digital multimeter will work just fine! The pulses cycle over and over so you can at least stare at it until you get it, LOL... it honestly took me a minute to see what was being talked about with the long and short pulses with the digital multimeter, but then it was like... OOOhhh.. i see!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so i hook my multimeter to the obd2 port and what turn on the car or ............. im confused still i guess ill have to reread that website on how to test it. ill try again tomorrow. i hope its just an f-ed up wire, i have a brand new 16g to put on and some exhaust work that i wanted to do. i need to live up to my screen name. i live in a town where the 5 speeds kinda dominate at our local track(norwalk) i wana get into the low 12's by the end of next season but i gotta get the trans issue fixed but im so new to the dsm's that im really getting frusterated. oh well i will figure it out. not to change the subject, but does this forum ever plan any gettogethers? like an anual meet somewhere? just curious, if you dont we should. anyway im gonna keep researching to fix my problem and how far is missouri from cleveland?(haha) take a vacation to the coldest damn place to ever have to fix a car.

·
Registered
830 Posts
2bar tsi said:
so i hook my multimeter to the obd2 port and what turn on the car or .............
yes... just turn the key to the "on" position... car isnt running, but power windows will work in this position.

stick the probes in to the indicated slots and the pulses should start showing up right away!

2bar tsi said:
and how far is missouri from cleveland?(haha) take a vacation to the coldest damn place to ever have to fix a car.
mapquest says its about 675 miles from cleveland, oh to columbia, mo... thats quite a trip...

ADAM

1 - 20 of 33 Posts