DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally ready to do the finally assembly on my 94 and all thats left is header/cat/exhaust. I have been soaking the exhaust manifold nuts in PB blaster for a few weeks and got all but one off with no trouble at all. The one 14mm nut on the driver side behind the power steering pump I can't get to. I even bought a swivle socket extension and still no luck. I have removed the PS pump headshield which gave a little more room but still not enought (were talking mm's here guys). If you have put a header on your 1G NT let me know how you did it. Thanks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Have you completely removed the power steering pump and bracket? That is pretty much the only way to get at that nut/stud.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really didn't want to get that involved with this. If that is the absolute only way can I just loosen it to move it out of the way and not completly remove the pump/belt/hoses?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Steve_O said:
I really didn't want to get that involved with this. If that is the absolute only way can I just loosen it to move it out of the way and not completly remove the pump/belt/hoses?
You dont have to remove the hoses. You just line the holes on the PS pulley up with the 2 bolts that hold the pump to the bracket. Once you have those out, you can move the pump out of the way and take off the bracket.

It really shouldnt take you more than 10 minutes to get the PS pump off. Its not really that "involved" and as far as I know, that is the only way to get that nut off.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Lazy ass. Couldla saved yourself the $10 and just removed the power steering pump. 2 bolts hold tension on it, then there are 3 I think that hold it on. extra 10 minutes tops to remove it and put it back on.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I got lucky when I did mine on my old Eclipse...that stud was already loose. :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
JamesH said:
Lazy ass. Couldla saved yourself the $10 and just removed the power steering pump. 2 bolts hold tension on it, then there are 3 I think that hold it on. extra 10 minutes tops to remove it and put it back on.

+1
I have thousands of dollars in tools and a flex extension is the only thing I think I have never used. You probably will never use that again lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts