DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help identifying some cam shafts.

I have some cams here with no real markings on them. If you stand in front of the car, on the left side (back of engine there is the letter "B" on both cams.. On the right (front closest to cam gears) there is the letter "C" on the intake cam with 2 dots, and the letter "C" with 6 dots on the exhaust cam. Also on the end of the cam, under the cam gear there is an I for intake and an E for exhaust engraved into the cams.

I know this cams are not stock but I'm not sure what they are. This car was pretty much fully built for its time. Car was built about 8 years ago. Head is fully ported, HKS VPC, HKS exturnal gate on a BR ported 2G manifold, Turbonetics FMIC, HKS pipe kit, blah blah etc etc..

I just cant figure out what kinda cams they are and this hands changed hands 3 times since the orignal owner had Buschur Racing build it and the last 2 times the owners never got it running right because no one noticed the crack in the intake manifold. Point is, I dont know the orignal owner to ask.

Thanks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Steve - Most any aftermarket camshaft these days will have the part number engraved on it. I have a pair of Comps and a pair of Crowers in front of me right now, and they are both engraved to identify themselves. Also, neither of these two have markings like you described.

They are too old to be FP's, so they could be Crane, Webb, or HKS.

(I can't think of any other cams that are/were available back them)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damnslowtsi said:
If they have those letters with dots they may very well be stock '91+ cams.
I've got half a dozen sets of OEM camshafts sitting here, I've have another dozen or so, not to mention all my friends has stock cams laying around. I've NEVER seen stock cams with lettering or markings like these.

If they are stock cams, they are not mitsubishi OEM's. Maybe some 3rd party stockers but not factory.

Man I just cant see the orignal owner running stock cams with a fully ported head, 1mm over valves etc. This car was fully built for its time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a few sets also and couple of them have letters with dots on the right side of them in a chess pattern. Not sure if yours look alike or not. Picture would help in this case. Those cams came out of later 1gs. Six bolt Huyndais have similar cams as well.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It's also possible that they are OEM on a JDM production 4G63 such as a Galant vr4 or an older EVO. I believe the JDM cams have a slightly more aggressive grind than our US cams do.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I've seen stock cams before with those dots like you are mentioning. I think they are stock.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose it's possable they are stocker's. I've just never seen a OEM cams like this and I've had ALOT of sets of OEM cams and we've had a shit ton of DSM's pass threw are hands.

Not sure why someone would run stock cams with a fully ported head, 1mm over valves, springs, etc though :p

Owell.. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts