DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey :) My father's a car dealer and every wednesday he goes up to this auction .. hes going tonight and he knows that I'm looking for a 1g Turbo DSM. He said that there's one there this week, that apparently is physically in very good shape, a 1990 Eclipse GS-T (was it called a GST in 1g? All i know is its turbo FWD).. with just a little over 100k on it.

Hes going to look into it, he said he can probably get the car for under around 1500. I really wanted an AWD but I've had no luck finding one.. so I just need a little info.. if the car seems to run good, and doesnt have any serious problems.. should I tell him to buy it?

Would it be worth modding? Because I REALLY want to mod my car.. and if it's not worth modding with that many miles.. then I'm not going to get it. I don't really expect to find a 1g with fewer miles than that though, so I'm seriously considering it.. I've been driving around a variety of horrible cars for a while now and It's driving me up the wall..

What do you all think? I know I'll probably miss not having the AWD launch but its still fast .. and alot of times I race on the highway or from a roll anyways where FWD would be superior (I dont plan on having a ton of power where I would need the AWD).

·
Registered
387 Posts
if it runs i would buy it and work from there. When you get it check the compression to see where you stand engine wise. Check the turbo for shaft play. Check the tranny for grinding. No matter what change the oil and you can throw in some syncroshoft in it while you are at it. I say go for it. You can always resell it for more if you dont like it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey man,
I got my 1g Talon @ 133,000 miles. It has never given me any trouble. I started modding it at about 180,000 miles and just put a bigger turbo on at 198,000. The car is still running strong at 203k miles on the original engine, trans, etc, running 18psi everyday. Over all, it really depends on how well the car has been maintained in the past.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wait for an AWD...I know to many people that talked themselves into getting a FWD and ended up regretting it.

Hit up dsmtrader...there are always AWD's for sale there.

Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm not really interested in DSM Trader just because people are selling their cars there for retail prices.. if I can buy them at the auctions for half that or less.. there's no point.. I'd rather buy the FWD or I can sit around and hope that an AWD comes through one of the auctions around here.

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
Id sit on it!

Theres turbo 1gs out the ass around here awds too!
My friend matt(shott17) keeps picking up awds for 300-500$ with perfectly running engines(trannys are bad).

·
Registered
31 Posts
If your looking for all around reliability a FWD is always going to have less prblems then a AWD... less moving parts, less drag, less fluids. Both AWD and FWDs are incredible cars. I personally like FWDs better except in the snow.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hes going to look into it, he said he can probably get the car for under around 1500. I really wanted an AWD but I've had no luck finding one..
If the car can be bought for under 1500, hold on to it.
When you see a awd, sell the car for 2500 and make some money towards the awd.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i would get it.....if an awd comes along and you can afford to buy the awd you could use the gs-t as a daily driver, just a thought

1 - 10 of 10 Posts