DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a 1g 1.8 that just lost the head gasket, hes not mechanicaly inclined at all, he told me I can have the car if I want it, Is it worth fixing? the body and interiors in good shape, I just know nothing about the 1.8's im still learning about my 2g 420a. Do I have any options with this car?? thanks and sorry for sounding like a newb

·
Registered
284 Posts
hellonwheels said:
A friend of mine has a 1g 1.8 that just lost the head gasket, hes not mechanicaly inclined at all, he told me I can have the car if I want it, Is it worth fixing? the body and interiors in good shape, I just know nothing about the 1.8's im still learning about my 2g 420a. Do I have any options with this car?? thanks and sorry for sounding like a newb
For free? I'd snag it in a second! Fix the head gasket, throw a new timing belt on it, and use it for a daily driver gas saver. Even if it's not worth fixing, strip the sucker for parts and send the rest in for scrap (yards around me are giving $.10 a lb. for full or partial vehicles!).:)

·
Registered
532 Posts
blue91 said:
For free? I'd snag it in a second! Fix the head gasket, throw a new timing belt on it, and use it for a daily driver gas saver. Even if it's not worth fixing, strip the sucker for parts and send the rest in for scrap (yards around me are giving $.10 a lb. for full or partial vehicles!).:)
^^ +1 I would do what he said.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You can do a headgasket on a 1.8L in about 8 hours if you go at it with a slow pace. A haynes manual can guide you through it but here's the basics. Remove the upper timing belt cover, remove valve cover, disconnect o2 sensor, disconnect temp gage and cold start sensor, remove three lower exhaust manifold to downpipe bolts, remove exhaust heat shield, remove exhaust manifold, ziptie timing belt to the camshaft sprocket in 2 places and be sure to keep tension on the belt by lifting it up and to the right when you pull it, remove 17mm bolt and camshaft sprocket, disconnect electrical connections to 4 injectors, 3wire tsp sensor, 5 wire Idle Speed Control Motor, 2 wire Idle speed motor, 2 wire distributor power, 5 wire distributor control connector, remove fuel feed and return lines, remove throttle body coolant lines if they haven't been bypassed, loosen allen bolts holding head on and remove head with intake still attached. Make sure to remove any debris in the headbolt holes, ensure to clean all old headgasket material from head and block, ensure head and block are not warped using a straightedge and install new gasket. Reassembly is more or less the same as disassembly. DO NOT COAT THE HEAD BOLTS WITH SEALENT. Torque the headbolts down in the sequence shown in the Haynes manual and reinstall the rest of the parts. You shouldn't have any leftover bolts. Restart motor and it should start right up with no major problems. Pretty easy job and it's outlined alot better in the shop manual. Go for it. With 4 dollar a gallon gas, it helps to keep a 1.8 on the road as a DD. Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
replace the head gasket and maybe some other little stuff while youre doing it. upper timing belt. new speakers always attract 16 year olds looking for a first car. haha. theres not too much you can do besides sell it or make it a daily driver.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I paid a good $200 for my 1.8 laser and I have to say the car is pretty damn reliable for a ut odaily driver so if I ever blew a head gasket on mine I would just go and fix it since I get a good 400 miles of a tank and at the rate of gas being $4 a gallon, i think the head gasket fix would pay for itself over and over again for years to come just in the amount of money I save on gas.

·
Registered
233 Posts
We need a mod in the 1.8 section to stop these annoying noobs.

Since it has been brought up anyways, did the OP ever get that 1.8?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.