DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys/gals. I have searched everywhere but I cannot find any specs on the SBR G60 turbo. I have read the reviews but they do not answer my questions. I have tried calling SBR and cannot get ahold of anyone. So does anyone know the A/R, Compressor Trim, Compressor wheel inducer and exducer, Turbine Trim, turbine style, inducer and exducer. And the bearing tipe? And any random info on this turbo **Compressor map**. Have a better sugestion for a turbo? I want something to make 400-450 wheel on 94octane.

Mods..
BC 272/272, BC springs and retainers, Eagle Rods, Ross 8.3:1, ARP everything, FP Race mani, FMIC, Full 3" exhaust, DSMLink, 950's, Wally 255, Areomotive AFPR, AEM wideband, Balance shaft removal, Ect..

Thanks a ton!
*constructive critisism accepted*:rolleyes:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok.. I found the same turbo through Kinetic Motorsports and got some specs. So i pretty much answered my own question. But hopefully this will help someone else. If im wrong on any of this info please correct me.

http://www.kineticmotorsport.com/products/KINETIC_DSM_60T_TURBO_w_INT_WG-871-241.html

On to the specs!!:)

Bearing type - 360* Thrust bearing
Oil cooled center section

Flow - 53Lb per Min.

To4E compressor housing
A/R .60
Compressor wheel - 60 trim
Inducer 58.2mm (2.29")
Exducer 74.9mm (2.948")

7cm Mitsubishi turbine
Garret Stage 3 turbine wheel
**If its the T31 style
76 trim
Inducer - 2.559"
Exducer - 2.228"

Full spool by around 4000 to 4200

Thanks

·
Registered
517 Posts
yeah, that should do the trick for you. I was actually wanting the same exact turbo as you. I was looking at the g60, but I wanted it with a t3 housing. Then I stumbled upon kinetics website and I found the the turbo that I bought. I ended up going with a 60-1 with a p-trim turbine wheel. I would say go for this turbo, but if you are concerned with spool up go for the stage 3 turbine wheel and you will still see about the same spool up time as the 60 trim. The 60-1 will make a lot more power thought, it flows 7 cfm more then the 60 trim. I would say go for the 60 trim if that is what you want thought, I have researched them a lot and it sounds fun. I got the 60-1 cause I just wanted the higher range of hp though.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have thougt about the 60-1 too but havent herd much about it (havent really looked though). So let me know how that goes and the response of the turbo.
Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
3_eyed_talon said:
I have thougt about the 60-1 too but havent herd much about it (havent really looked though). So let me know how that goes and the response of the turbo.
Thanks.
Generally, what I have read says that the turbo will spool up about 4200-4500rpm with the stage 3 turbine wheel, and 4500-5000rpm with the P-trim wheel. I will be able to let you know how the p-trim spools and pulls this weekend. Kinetic offers the stage 3 and p-trim in the 60-1, so that is why I didn't mention the stage 5 wheel.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rockbmx1 said:
Generally, what I have read says that the turbo will spool up about 4200-4500rpm with the stage 3 turbine wheel, and 4500-5000rpm with the P-trim wheel. I will be able to let you know how the p-trim spools and pulls this weekend. Kinetic offers the stage 3 and p-trim in the 60-1, so that is why I didn't mention the stage 5 wheel.
That would be great. I have looked at some 60-1 threads tonight. 4500-5000 seems kinda late because I can only tune to 8000 with DSMLink. Have you heard any solid spool times on the G60?

8.3:1 eagle pistons. 272 BC cams.

Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
3_eyed_talon said:
That would be great. I have looked at some 60-1 threads tonight. 4500-5000 seems kinda late because I can only tune to 8000 with DSMLink. Have you heard any solid spool times on the G60?

8.3:1 eagle pistons. 272 BC cams.

Thanks.
Dsmlink is kinda weird, it will only let you tune your car to 8000rpm, but you can set it higher. When you set the rpms higher then 8k then the fuel map will continue to increase the fuel as you flow more cfms.

According to SBR, Joe told me to expect to spool no later then 4200rpm with the G60, and that was with 1g 7.8:1 pistons. In your case I would think that you would spool by 3800-4000rpm depending on the rest of your setup. If you have a SMIM, large IC piping, large exhaust A/R, and other spool depressents then it will delay the spool. Like I said though, you can order that turbo from Kinetic and save some cash like I did. :p SBR was willing to hook me up with it for a really good price, but I found it just a bit cheaper at kinetic....Im a typical dsm'r....I like good parts for cheap!

A lot of people say that the 60-1 is a terrible pump gas turbo, but that is all relative. Pretty much all large turbos aren't the best with pump gas, but with race gas they are raped ape's!!! :D

I would suggest that you thing about what you would like your car to do as far as power. The G60 is a strong turbo, and will get your car to 400+ whp, where as the 60-1 will get you 500+whp. If you are needing a faster spooling turbo, then the G60 is what your are after. If you can deal with turbo lag and are wanting more power, then the 60-1 is what would suit your fancy. Both turbos are great budget turbos, and will perform very well. ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What im looking for is something able to put out 400-450whp on 93 pump gas. The car wont see the track much because the closest track is 250 miles away right now. There is sposed to be a track opening in the next town thats only 30 miles away. So basicaly this will be a street car with the occasonal track visit. But I think that close to 500 whp is acheavable on the g60 with some race fuel. *stock tranny's gonna love me!!!* The 60-1 with the T3 turbine seems to spool ok but then you basicly have a g60 with a to4s compressor and a touch bigger compressor wheel and a smaller exhaust side that would choke a 60-1 up top. *to a point anyways*. So for about $100 more you have a g60-1. haha. Im thinkin a G60 will suit me fine. If its too slow I am buying my brothers FWD laser. It would suit that car fine.

But about the turbo's I have NO experience with either so what I have said is what i have aquired from reading other forums and talking to vendors/parts tec's.

If anyone see's anything wrong here or would like to comment or correct me feel free. I would rather be proven wrong than go on beliving false information.

Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
3_eyed_talon said:
What im looking for is something able to put out 400-450whp on 93 pump gas. The car wont see the track much because the closest track is 250 miles away right now. There is sposed to be a track opening in the next town thats only 30 miles away. So basicaly this will be a street car with the occasonal track visit. But I think that close to 500 whp is acheavable on the g60 with some race fuel. *stock tranny's gonna love me!!!* The 60-1 with the T3 turbine seems to spool ok but then you basicly have a g60 with a to4s compressor and a touch bigger compressor wheel and a smaller exhaust side that would choke a 60-1 up top. *to a point anyways*. So for about $100 more you have a g60-1. haha. Im thinkin a G60 will suit me fine. If its too slow I am buying my brothers FWD laser. It would suit that car fine.

But about the turbo's I have NO experience with either so what I have said is what i have aquired from reading other forums and talking to vendors/parts tec's.

If anyone see's anything wrong here or would like to comment or correct me feel free. I would rather be proven wrong than go on beliving false information.

Thanks.
You have it pretty spot on about what a 60-1 is. I agree that the stage 3 turbine wheel will choak the 60-1 to an extent up top, and that is why I opted for the p-trim wheel. I think that you would like the G60 turbo. I believe that it will suit your needs, and I would also think that 400whp is attainable on 93 pump with a soild tune. I would say its time to order the g60 and bolt that bad boy on! Before you start bolting things on, make sure that you have all of the parts that you will need to install it. Oil lines, gaskets, proper IC piping and the right couplers, ect.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Rockbmx1 said:
You have it pretty spot on about what a 60-1 is. I agree that the stage 3 turbine wheel will choak the 60-1 to an extent up top, and that is why I opted for the p-trim wheel. I think that you would like the G60 turbo. I believe that it will suit your needs, and I would also think that 400whp is attainable on 93 pump with a soild tune. I would say its time to order the g60 and bolt that bad boy on! Before you start bolting things on, make sure that you have all of the parts that you will need to install it. Oil lines, gaskets, proper IC piping and the right couplers, ect.
+1,

I agree with RockBMX about the 60-1 and all the statements he made. I have a Bullseyepower T04E 60-1 bolt-on turbocharger and I love it. I had a Ported Small 16G before and was on the limits of that turbo then swapped for a 60-1.The power was clear from the get go. I was on 20psi with the 16G and now running 15psi for retuning proposes. I going to see if I can run a good 30 psi on pump and a Super Solid tune.

·
Registered
363 Posts
3_eyed_talon said:
Thanks.
Well I have used a 60 trim and a 60-1 and what I can say is that the 60 trim can make 450 easily. I ran my 60 trim for about 3 years on 2 seperate cars. The 60 trim provides a better powerband from lower rpms than the 60-1. The trade off is that the 60 trim requires more boost pressure be ran to achieve the same amount of power. The 60-1 will make similar power at a lower boost pressure. This basically means not having to beat the hell out of your block quite as much as the 60 trim. My 60 trim reached full boost at about 3800 rpm. My 60-1 reaches full boost at about 4600 rpm, which in my opinion is just too lazy. . I did notice that with my .63 ar exhaust housing, my EGT's were lower with the 60-1. This is with both running .63 ar Garrett exhaust housings with a 38mm Deltagate. Most 60 trims use stage 3 turbine wheel, while most 60-1's use a stage 5 t350 turbine wheel. The stage 3 offers a much better powerband, while the stage 5 is laggier but has lower EGT's. As for choke point, you will be hard pressed to choke either. It depends on what you are planning to rev to. I've personally ran my stage 3 60 trim to 26psi on mixed fuel and 7500 rpm limit with no sign of boost pressure loss. As for choking a 60-1, that is all but impossible unless you are running in the mid 30's for boost pressure.

I do feel that the spool and/or powerband were better with the 60 trim. I honestly believe the 60-1 is overkill for 450 horses. 60-1's shine more with race gas and elevated boost levels, more like the 550-600 hp range. Either turbo will work but with your mods and desired horsepower I recommend the 60 trim. If you plan on running more in the future, the 60-1will give you more room for growth, at the price of a lazier turbo. All in all I feel the 60-1 should be left for that next step, that next plateau. For your goals a 60 trim is plenty and will be more fun. You will have to invest in a transmission soon as either (when used to their potential) will play hell on the stock tranny. i myself will be needing to replace mine soon. I hope this is helpful for you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HaHa.. I dont even wanna think about the stock tranny.. Thats prety much what I needed to know. But now I have a motor problem on my hands because its acting up after 20 miles now. Check my other posts and see if you could help me out a little.

Thanks alot guys.
Bob.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone have some new experiences with the G60?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts