DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
Black97TSIAWD said:

LOL, you wish. Turbo Trans Am, special edition that is still stock for stock the fastest Trans Am ever built, and it is a V6, haha. Only 1550 built, 1989, and only in white. Fastest stock, went 11.80's in 1990. I might grow a mullet, just because it does compliment the car so well, and would look sweet with a jean jacket and an REO speedwagon shirt.
11.80's stock, no aftermarket TIRES(slicks) , BOOST CONTROL, etc. Impressive cars for their time, but I don't buy 11.80s stock with no weight reduction or any small/free mods. I have seen a few 100% stock TTAs that are kept in tiptop shape by the original owners and they seem to run about the same as the stock GNs. Last time I checked those cars only ran low 15s, high 14s STOCK, 11.80 is a bit far fetched :rolleyes: it was propbably a test pilot for developing Turbonetics 60-1 sleeper turbos :eek:

My vote as the fastest STOCK Trans Am goes to a 99 up T/A Firehawk.
The fastest F-body is unquestionably the '69 ZL1 Camaro.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Spoolin95GSX said:
Why a new tranny?? BTW, if it's a white 5-spd, I'd seriously buy it.
. lol cuz i forgot to put fluid there. but anyways after like 11 years the tranny fluid is pretty much fucked and thats not too good but the tarnny should still be driveable it might just need a rebuild, cuz all the internal parts havent been lubricated.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Why would they have to stay lubed really... nothing's moving in there, so I'd just change out that fluid and not worry about the tranny. Trannies with 4 miles on them are quite rare, much less any 14 year old cars with 4 miles...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
4SFED4 said:

11.80's stock, no aftermarket TIRES(slicks) , BOOST CONTROL, etc. Impressive cars for their time, but I don't buy 11.80s stock with no weight reduction or any small/free mods. I have seen a few 100% stock TTAs that are kept in tiptop shape by the original owners and they seem to run about the same as the stock GNs. Last time I checked those cars only ran low 15s, high 14s STOCK, 11.80 is a bit far fetched :rolleyes: it was propbably a test pilot for developing Turbonetics 60-1 sleeper turbos :eek:

My vote as the fastest STOCK Trans Am goes to a 99 up T/A Firehawk.
The fastest F-body is unquestionably the '69 ZL1 Camaro.
I can show you proof, but what is your definition of stock. Because there is a stock 67 firebird running 12.40's in High Performance Pontiac. This means he can run different durration cams though, stock lift. I believe the NHRA Stock car class allows you to modify so much but still be a "stock car" and those cars are down to a science, and remain for the most part stock, changing cam duration and tuning fuel. This TTA however was modified in one way, fuel tuning. There was an adjustable chip in, which allowed him to tune the fuel. Besides that bone stock. I am also not saying every single TTA was running 11.80's. But stock for stock, I don't think another TA has been able to go faster stock, right off the factory floor. Only car not needing to be modified for the Indy 500 to be a pace car, only lights had to be mounted. And the Indy 500 has used plenty of Corvettes, that had to be modified. And for the last time you checked you were way off, we purchased a real beater from Pennsylvania, and that car stock ran 13.72 more consistantly then any other car. Just mash the gas and you would get a 13.72. Time tends to make cars lose et, also how they are maintained.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe the T-Trans-Am's were made in 1989 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the car. As for 11.80 rolling off the factory line, no way. They have the same 3.8-T that the GN's and GNX's share. GN's run mid 13's STOCK, but with minimal mods can see 12's and even 11's. You can get a TTA into the 12's for about $1000, some guys have hit 11's.

·
Registered
672 Posts
REDBLUR said:
I believe the T-Trans-Am's were made in 1989 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the car. As for 11.80 rolling off the factory line, no way. They have the same 3.8-T that the GN's and GNX's share. GN's run mid 13's STOCK, but with minimal mods can see 12's and even 11's. You can get a TTA into the 12's for about $1000, some guys have hit 11's.
he already stated the car ran a 11.80 with some fuel tuning done;)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
REDBLUR said:
Alright one more attempt to state a case. One GN's run low 14's high 13's stock, this is true. GNX's and TTA's tend to run slightly lower numbers. Some easliy crack 12's, others not so easy. In 1990 a guy from Florida with a chip and fuel tuning cracked an 11.80 with all stock car, except chip. Today Julio Don is in the deep 11's with merely a 3"downpipe, chip, and alcohol injection. One misconception is the MBC, some cars do not need them. If a TTA has a certain chip, the boost can be raised using the actuator on the waste gate flapper, making it tighter means more boost. Hence you would not need a MBC, so no mod. DSM's use a fish valve that can controll the boost by setting it, TTA's can also use this, but do not need to. But, these times were with stock boost, however more often guys today with stock cars in the 11's use the chip, and turn the boost up with the actuator, and use race gas. I am not claiming that every TTA is hitting 11's off the factory, or hitting them at all. Here is also an interesting site, TTA World's fastest production car. Alright, now back on subject. I was just thinking, even if this guy started the car up and kept everything in working order, if it just sat the brakes would probably need to be replaced, since never being used, as would a lot of parts. To me, the money put in may be more then the cost of the car, in that case to me would be a bad investment.

·
Registered
690 Posts
well dont know about the "4 miles" on it

From the dealership new it should have already more miles on it by the testing they do.

Not to mention driving that thing home, unless he lives in a trailer behind the Eagle dealership?

Not to mention moreso he stated he drives it occasionally to get it lubed and stuff

So 4 miles is no way true, but I would beleive something like 30 miles, 40 miles to under 100 miles.

Even still a car that old with only 100 miles would need extra attention if it was sitting around like this. All the fluids seep to the bottom (gravity folks) so seals and the like get crusty and old if the car isnt started.

Now I love DSM's like the much of you, but its pritty far fetched to think somebody would buy one and not drive it at all for this long?!? Its not a porsche, ferrari etc where you buy a 20k car and keep it in storage because its a classic :rolleyes:

I would be very weary of a low milage rolled back super clean DSM where the guy kept the stickers and plastic for seats....not saying it isnt true, but I would be very cautious on this one

·
Registered
355 Posts
i doubt 11.80's out of a stock TTA but close to that. My dad has a '86 GN. he ran 13.4's with slicks and a lil more boost. the GNX's have run really high 12's stock and the TTA's are a slightly improved version of the TTA so i can see mid 12's.
on a side note, how little respect does Buick get. They came up with the 3.8 that was in the GNX/TTA and more recently the supercharged 3.8 that is in the GTP's and crap, all buick. My dad has a video at home that is a compilation of news reports with Chevy guys saying how Buick was out of line in creating the GN because as a luxury line they ha no right. and how they did it to disrespect the Corvette. Sorry C4 hahaha
O and the GN pulled 11.4's last week :)

long live the Buick 3.8T

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
It is possible for sure to have a car with only 4 miles on it, a friend of mine just bought a new honda accord and it had like 6 miles on it.. The guy could have had it towed to his house or something. Now as to WHY he would want it done, who freakin' knows, but it IS possible.

·
Registered
672 Posts
sab4you said:
well dont know about the "4 miles" on it

From the dealership new it should have already more miles on it by the testing they do.

Not to mention driving that thing home, unless he lives in a trailer behind the Eagle dealership?

Not to mention moreso he stated he drives it occasionally to get it lubed and stuff

So 4 miles is no way true, but I would beleive something like 30 miles, 40 miles to under 100 miles.

Even still a car that old with only 100 miles would need extra attention if it was sitting around like this. All the fluids seep to the bottom (gravity folks) so seals and the like get crusty and old if the car isnt started.

Now I love DSM's like the much of you, but its pritty far fetched to think somebody would buy one and not drive it at all for this long?!? Its not a porsche, ferrari etc where you buy a 20k car and keep it in storage because its a classic :rolleyes:

I would be very weary of a low milage rolled back super clean DSM where the guy kept the stickers and plastic for seats....not saying it isnt true, but I would be very cautious on this one
my friends that have new cars all got their cars with under 10miles on them... 4 is very beliveable. some people do that jsut to do it.. I remember a story a long time ago of a guy that bought a 1979 Camaro Z28 brand new and parked it literally for 20 years, just to win a bet he had going with his friends;)

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
Black97TSIAWD said:

, but what is your definition of stock. Worlds Fastest Production Car

If the TTA was "stock" in 1990, then theortically I could have taken a 1st Gen AWD DSM in 1991(considering I had the DSM knowlege I do today), aquired a 16G, cut/weld the actuator arm to length that I recieve desired boost, mod the MAS, dump in some race gas and run mid-low 12's and still be "stock". Not much of anybody had much knowlege of DSMs, could've probably got away with a bigger smic and larger rubber i/c piping then too. The argument could go on forever but to make a simple statement: IMO: For a car to be the Worlds Fastest Production car it must remain in all aspects the way it came off the showroom, no tinkering, the tires the manufacturer put on it[no Corker "repros"(they ain't Polyglass) either], not even a different brand/grade oil. Ferrari made enough F40s to be a production car and they ran high 11's the way Enzo Ferrari designed and supplied it in every aspect, too bad it was his last car.

Back to the subject of the thread: I agree with the others about poor lubrication, rusting in undesired areas and rubber parts wearing. Having a car sit, is worse on it then sitting in traffic everyday. If it is bought soley for a collectors piece it may be worth something to the collector, but if you have plan to drive it and/or mod it, I would avoid it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I cant wait to see what this thing looks like :D

my lunch lady back in HS had a Mach1 her father stored in climate controlled building for over 20 years (he was a high level executive for ford)..just thought id share..lol

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
4SFED4 said:

If the TTA was "stock" in 1990, then theortically I could have taken a 1st Gen AWD DSM in 1991(considering I had the DSM knowlege I do today), aquired a 16G, cut/weld the actuator arm to length that I recieve desired boost, mod the MAS, dump in some race gas and run mid-low 12's and still be "stock". Not much of anybody had much knowlege of DSMs, could've probably got away with a bigger smic and larger rubber i/c piping then too. The argument could go on forever but to make a simple statement: IMO: For a car to be the Worlds Fastest Production car it must remain in all aspects the way it came off the showroom, no tinkering, the tires the manufacturer put on it[no Corker "repros"(they ain't Polyglass) either], not even a different brand/grade oil. Ferrari made enough F40s to be a production car and they ran high 11's the way Enzo Ferrari designed and supplied it in every aspect, too bad it was his last car.
Why is this so hard for people. Stock no new turbo, I said a chip and fuel tuning he ran an 11.80. It is not a myth but a fact. Your saying get a new turbo and put it on a dsm, no this is stock on a car he bought in 89 and drove to the track in 90. Stock everything. World's Fast production car, if you look the TTA ran a 298.xx mph mile. I never knew this until a few days ago. And turbodroptop, for someone with buick knowledge, you should know exactly what I am talking about. Stock GN's are not as fast as the GNX/TTA true. But there are people running 11's with the mods I listed, and there was a guy in Florida that ran 11.80's with only the chip and fuel tuning. Also, the 3800 supercharged engine in the GTP is quite a marvel. They had a shootout of 11 sec fwd gtp's in High Performance Pontiac this month, one had a huge wing, and I thought was rice, but he ran an 11.84, wow, and he was using the original charger that came on the car. Another ran a 12.03 using a centrifugal charger. There was also the artical about the stock 68 (not 67) Ram Air 2 running 12.30's.

Anyways, hope we can see some pictures soon. The leather seats should look very nice. I imagine if he kept them wrapped in plastic, in fact the whole interior should be pristine condition.

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
Black97TSIAWD said:

Why is this so hard for people. Stock no new turbo, I said a chip and fuel tuning he ran an 11.80. It is not a myth but a fact. Your saying get a new turbo and put it on a dsm, no this is stock on a car he bought in 89 and drove to the track in 90. Stock everything. World's Fast production car, if you look the TTA ran a 298.xx mph mile. I never knew this until a few days ago. And turbodroptop, for someone with buick knowledge, you should know exactly what I am talking about. Stock GN's are not as fast as the GNX/TTA true. But there are people running 11's with the mods I listed, and there was a guy in Florida that ran 11.80's with only the chip and fuel tuning.
?#1. Did you pull off the compressor housing and measure the wheel?
I don't buy eveything I'm told, no one in the performance industry tells all their secrets/tircks/mods, end of story. T/As are my 2nd favorite car because I have had a '92 before I ever got a DSM, but I am not arrogant or stupid enough to believe an '89 TTA is the Worlds Fastest Production car. What was Duttwieler doing back in those days :confused:

Bact to the thread: Lets see some pics

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
4SFED4 said:

?#1. Did you pull off the compressor housing and measure the wheel?
I don't buy eveything I'm told, no one in the performance industry tells all their secrets/tircks/mods, end of story. T/As are my 2nd favorite car because I have had a '92 before I ever got a DSM, but I am not arrogant or stupid enough to believe an '89 TTA is the Worlds Fastest Production car. What was Duttwieler doing back in those days :confused:

If you follow my link, as world's fastest production car refers to fastest mile, not fastest 1/4 stock, since I blieve the Enzio holds that title. You should believe however that a stock TTA with a chip, nothing else changed, stock compressor, turbo. I understand it is hard to believe, but think weather, burning the stock rubber. There are ways to get your car fastest without changing the setup. Now imagine that with a fuel chip, tuning that, race gas, and raising the boost. The stock turbo is big enough if you have seen it. You just need to talk to some more TTA guys, there are guys out there that know a lot more about this then me, but these are the basics. Anyways, I don't think we should hijack this thread any more so I will leave it with a Ripley's quote, "Believe or not..."

If anything, you could buy the car and part it out for more money then what you paid.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts