DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I have the horozontal movement in my crankshaft. I've decided to fix the problem in hopes that it doesn't reoccur. My question is, should I fix the problem or just buy a new motor. I also will have to replace the transmission because my throwout bearing shaft is worn. I don't know what would be cheaper. This motor already has 113,000 miles on it. Better yet, is it possible to purchase a new motor and how much would it be?

·
Registered
871 Posts
the problem with crankwalk is in the block, so the only way to cure it is to get a new block, you can get different sized bearings but it will happen again,maybe in 5 years or maybe in a week, you never know. i would look into seeing if you can use a 1g block instead of a 2g block as these don't have the problem. lightning can strike in the same place twice, even with a new/different thunderstorm....if you know what i mean. please read the other cw posts.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize that I need to replace the block, but I also will need to replace the tranny soon also. With all this money spent, what's the cost of a new engine? I mean we're talking a lot of money to replace the shortblock, crank and tranny.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Why would you have to replace the tranny? just for a worn release bearing shaft? That can be dealt with. I've never tried it but the software suggest that part is even replaceable on a 2g tranny. there is a part number for a sleeve looking item anyway. All else fails it can be built up and sanded down if it's really that bad. Need to clear up some terminology here too. No stones please. A shortblock refers to both the block and the rotating assembly. Block by itself is just that..the block. crank would be included in the term "shortblock". Has anybody looked into the possibility of oversized bearings and having a block align honed?

·
Registered
101 Posts
4npower - everything I've read says that the problem is in incorrectly machined cranks, and the problem shows up in the thrust bearing.

Mitsu has a bunch of different bearing sizes now to match the faulty cranks. Apparently if you can match the "coloring" of the crank to the thrust bearing (I think there's some sort of code for matching it - I'm not really sure what that's all about), then in theory your problem is solved, according to what I've read.

This is the first mention I've seen of crankwalk being a problem in the block - do you have more information on how/why you think/know this? I'm personally watching this very closely since I'm considering buying a 2g myself.

A new shortblock is something like $1,500, right? The replacement bearings are like $18 or something like that - what does a new crank run?

Edit: as soon as I posted this I was wondering "then why do some folks have to have their blocks replaced?" -> on one of the other posts, a fellow said that when the crank walks enough, it'll screw up all of the other bearings, and apparently enough movement will muck with the rods and the cylinders and just create all sorts of havoc. I guess that's in advanced cases though. I assume the crank or bearing fix is for those who catch it early...

damn this has me worried :-(

[This message has been edited by JakeL (edited September 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
People are acting like it is a forgone conclusion that they will have crankwalk. Is it a common problem? Yes. Does it happen to everyone? Absolutely not. The majority of 2g DSM's will never have a problem with crankwalk. Keep that in mind before you panic.

------------------
Shawn B.
95 Talon TSi AWD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts