DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the car for a test drive the other day and noticed a few miles away that the car started to overheat pretty fast. Well I ended up driving it back home and having to stop about 3 times to put water in it just to make it back. That turned out to be a bad thermostat, so I replaced it and car stopped overheating. A week passes and I go back out to work on the car and mess with a electrical issue I've been having and figure out it was just a blown fuse.

Now I'm ready to start the car and check the timing and take it for another test drive. After flushing the system of the water and topping her off with coolant, I start it. Wasn't 5 secs later I see smoke coming out the back from the window. Get out and there is a nice steady strem of white smoke pouring out the exhaust with a sweet smell. Great, looks like the car is pushing coolant. Check the overflow bottle that i just filled and it is completely empty after about a min of idling.

After being aggrivated and wanting a night away from the car I come back and do a compression test. From left to right 165/150/110/160. Is this most likely a blown headgasket from letting the engine get so hot on that trip home? The engine probably has less then 30 miles since the rebuild. I know i'm most likely going to have to take the head off anyway to have it checked out, just want to try and figure out if running the engine hot would of caused this.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
+1 On checking the torque on the head bolts. You always have to check and retorque if necessary after a few heat cycles. But how long did you run the engine in the "HOT?"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was probably about 2-3 miles roughly. I got stuck at a lot of red lights also, it wasn't fun. Every time the needle was getting close to red I pulled over. I'll re torque the head bolts today and check my compression again.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If it was built/put together right you won't have to do redo the head studs. Most likely your head is warped or the headgasket is gone. Take off the head and send it out to have it checked and look at the headgasket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would there be any other signs of a warped head other then the white smoke I'm seeing? The car idled fine and had no problem starting up. I'm hoping it is only the HG since I'm still paying on the motor lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just pulled the valve cover off and re torqued the bolts back down. I torqued them to 95lbs and could see the ones in the middle needed to be tighten more. Did another compression test and got 165/160/155/155. Got it back together and let it run for about 3 mins or so and still saw a large amount of white smoke coming out. Can there still be left over coolant being burned? Also could it still be a hg with a normal compression now?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
there is a chance you've still got a hg out, but not likely. There also shouldn't be much if any extra coolant left in any cylinders, and it shouldn't be pouring white smoke, either. If anything, a little smoke would come out, but not for super long. Check and see if you've got oil in coolant, or coolant in oil. Also check for condensation on the bottom side of your oil fill cap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just drained the oil and it looks like Chocloate milk. I guess that means coolant mixed into the oil? Will I be ok just to change the oil and filter or are there more drastic things I should do before I start it up again?

Thanks for all the help so far.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update: I changed the oil and filter and let the car run for about 10 mins. Was still having white smoke. Took it for a drive down my road in 2nd gear no higher then 3rpm to see how it acted. Was still getting large amounts of white smoke, so I took it back home. Checked the coolant levels and it looked like it went down again. Checked compression again and got 160/155/150/150. Pulled off the exhaust manifold and can see that the number 2 cyl. is still pushing coolant(at least it looks like it is).

Going to go ahead and replace the hg along with having the head checked to see if it warped. Is it common to have normal compression, but still have a blown hg?

·
Registered
938 Posts
You blew the HG when you didn't retorque the studs. Now, you've still got a blown HG, just not as bad of a leak since you retorqued the head studs.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Can someone please explain why we have to re torque the headstuds? When my motor was built they were torqued in stages (30, 60, 80, 100) and that was that. I have about 2k miles on the motor right now with no issues (running about 18-20psi on an FP Green).
Also when buying a new car they never tell you have to re torque the headstuds.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
sometimes, *not all the time*, the nuts can vibrate loose just a little. I'm not 100% sure why this happens, though, but it does, even with properly torqued bolts. As for NEW cars, I don't know how many come with studs, but the 4G63 motor had head *bolts* which could have made a difference as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.