DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.. Im having some trouble after a head rebuild. The car has roughly 140K miles on it (90 TSI AWD) and mods are a MBC set at about 16PSI, fuel pump rewire, and K&N. My car is blowing white smoke out and seems to be leaking from the turbo area ( me and my sister almost got smoked out the other day ). I did a compression test and got 120-145-150-150. I added a little oil to the low cylinder and got it to 130 so after all my research, I dont think its a ring but maybe a valve from running too rich? Possibly a head gasket installed improperly inconjuction with running too rich? I also seem to have quite a bit of venting from the valve cover. I replaced the PCV and didnt help that area. Any input is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for the space.
90 TSI AWD- Smokin
96 TSI AWD-SOLD
90 RS Turbo-SOLD (to someone who pulled the hose.. ouch)

·
Elite DSMtalker
906 Posts
What hardware did you us? What torque specs? Which head gasket? Is your coolant low? Oil in it? What was the compression before the head was taken off?

Lots of questions to be answered.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not sure what you mean by which hardware, but I KNOW it was torqued to spec cause I watched him put it back together with a torque wrench and make sure it was the correct setting like 5 times for each bolt.
We used the Conicelli heac gasket set.

I have not checked coolant in the past few days, but will tonight. I just fixed a leak that was coming from one of the hoses.

Same thing, will check coolant tonight.

Compression before the head gasket change was 150-150-150-150.

Just on a note now, like I said, I havent checked the coolant level, but I did another compression test and got 150-160-150-150. I am still getting white smoke under WOT though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

After further inspection of the car (and my empty dipstick) I think I have a blown turbo seal. I noticed more and more since adding some fuel system cleaner that the smoke had a blue-ish tint to it. I get home today and look at the dipstick and notice its pretty low.. Like nothing on there. SO. Compression is back at 150 across all 4 cylinders, still have venting white smoke from valve cover, and now blue-ish from the exhaust (which im pretty sure is a turbo seal). Any ideas on the valve cover venting?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts