DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided on my Tuning path! I picked BlackBox with ecuflash.

I just bought a blackbox with the flash wire already installed, along with the openport tactrix 2.0, from a member on dsmtuners who just changed to dsmlink. Should work well with my 97 tsi with t28, once I install my evo560's.

I also ordered a hallman pro MBC, aem wideband, and a loteck 2 gauge full a-piller for the wideband and boost gauge. But, Loteck emailed me and said there mold is broken, and wont be able to make the a-piller for at least a MONTH!! WTF... **anyone have a mid-grey 2 gauge full a-piller they will sale me??**

Anyways, It has been many years since my last build; srt4-full Hahn racecraft 20g with portfueler and full mopar stage2.

I feel it will be a bit harder to learn to tune a dsm, but I am getting pumped up. I will take it slow, and seek as much help as I can get. It will be nice to have a mild built dsm in my area, as I have not seen another 2gb tsi for MANY years! DSM's are pretty rare around my area. There's a lot of new cameros, challengers, and stangs now. I don't even try to keep up with there performance output anymore, there are a few new cameros that try and mess around with the talon, but I mostly take it easy as of now.

I have printed page after page of ecuflash tuning threads, I will start reading threw them, I hope ceddymods is still up, I will gladly pay the fee for his dsm downloads. Wish me luck on my new journey!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, some of the parts are rolling in. I am in no hurry, I am just trying to get all the parts figured out.

Now, I already have a few questions, if anyone would like to help.

I see the "back box ecu" and the "tactrix 2.0" but that is the other part in the pitucres? Maybe for 1g applications? I also figured the reflash wire soldered into pin 79 was a male, not a female?

What is this plug?

Female end, not male?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so picture two has to be the Mitsubishi Reflash connector, I just don't see where the large part connects to.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone running a black box want to help me out, I figured there would be a male phono jack come off pin 79, not a female?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to get in touch with the person I purchased this set up from.

Its a single wire "the red one" to pin 97. He recommended I cut the phono wire off from the 12 pin reflash connector, and splice that into the red wire going to pin 97, thus supplying a 12v signal to the ecu, which will allow for "boot mode".

I understand what he is recommending, and it makes sense. We suspect that the phono wire from the 12 pin connector will be a single power wire "and it should be, as it is an actual reflash connector". If not, then I will use ohm meter to see which wire would be power.

Starting to make sense, my next question is; I have an older laptop, which is OS Vista. Anyone running black box use OS Vista? I read somewhere, XP is better?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starting to make sense, my next question is; I have an older laptop, which is OS Vista. Anyone running black box use OS Vista? I read somewhere, XP is better?
I also have an ASUS Transformer, the tiny laptop where the screen comes off for a tablet. Its running OS windows 8, but I feel the power wont be enough to push a reflash through? Any opinions?

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,256 Posts
Vista works fine with Ecuflash, the tip of a male phono connector goes to pin 79 on the ecu, simple as that, you wont use the black connector unless you have a 98-99 car that has the black male connector under the dash from the factory, but I wouldnt go and cut it up, it was an extra piece that someone bought and its not that cheap, and you might want to install a 98-99 male plug under your dash to connect to in the future.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Vista works fine with Ecuflash, the tip of a male phono connector goes to pin 79 on the ecu, simple as that, you wont use the black connector unless you have a 98-99 car that has the black male connector under the dash from the factory, but I wouldnt go and cut it up, it was an extra piece that someone bought and its not that cheap, and you might want to install a 98-99 male plug under your dash to connect to in the future.
Yeah, I don't really want to cut it. But, the previous owner of the black box setup installed a SINGAL solid wire to 79 of the ecu, then connected a large female phono plug to that wire. So there is a few different ways I could go about connecting the phono wire up.

But, here's where I am now. I have the wideband installed, installation went well, I had the 02 sensor installed at an exhaust shop, and I did the rest, all is hooked up and functioning properly. I went out for a few WOT pulls.

Heres the strange part, at 17psi falling to 14psi, I was at or bellow 10.0 afr. This is on a T28 and stock injectors. I figured I would be around 11.5 or higher. I don't understand how at 17psi on stock injectors, I wouldn't be to lean. Maybe the previous owner had larger injectors installed?

My next step is to install the black box set up, and get some data logged. But I am very course to why I am not running lean at 17psi? I hardly ever go WOT as I was always concerned I was running extremely lean, but the car pulls strong and smooth, I have never once hit fuel cut. I am beginning to think the last owner had some other work done to the car.

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,256 Posts
It might have an aftermarket high flow fuel pump installed and or an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, thus delivering more fuel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It might have an aftermarket high flow fuel pump installed and or an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, thus delivering more fuel.
Not sure about the fuel pump, But I have installed STM's full fuel pump rewire kit, NICE kit. Appears to have no after market fuel regulator. However, while wiring the wideband in, I was looking over the ECM wire harness, and it appears as though someone has spliced into in the past. Its hard to tell for sure, but a few of the wires looks as if though they have been messed with and re-taped, but I am not sure if that's just how it left the factory.

Maybe, when I install evoflash and evodata logging, I should log my current ECU before installing the black box, even though its a 97 none black box, I should be able to at least log it? It's just a bit of a mystery, I am the third owner of this talon, the first owner had it only for a few years, then the friend of the first owner bought it, she had it for 10+ years, and did no mods. This is what I believed until I found her recites, There was a large invoice for the replacement of the turbo with a T28, along with a some other work that was done. I don't think she even knew, the T28 was cheaper then a new stock t25 from the stealership im sure.

Even though I am at 10.0 at WOT at 17psi, I would assume the injectors duty cycle is maxed. I just assumed, the higher the injector duty cycle, the leaner the car would be. I am now starting to see, its not that easy, I need to check knock counts and timing. I am reluctant to install evoflash on my wife's old college laptop, its like 10 years old! I might just buy a cheap refurbished laptop for tuning only.

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,256 Posts
The higher the duty cycle the richer the car will be until the injectors cant keep up anymore due to being maxed out, you need to make sure your wideband is accurate and is recently calibrated first of all, and 10:1 is likely what the stock programming is calling for at your load point! the factory runs the cars rich to protect them from detonation damage, there are ratios in the 9:1 area on the fuel map and sometimes even richer depending on the ecu, so you need to datalog and look at the map before deciding that there is actually a problem AFTER you make sure your wideband is working right.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The higher the duty cycle the richer the car will be until the injectors cant keep up anymore due to being maxed out, you need to make sure your wideband is accurate and is recently calibrated first of all, and 10:1 is likely what the stock programming is calling for at your load point! the factory runs the cars rich to protect them from detonation damage, there are ratios in the 9:1 area on the fuel map and sometimes even richer depending on the ecu, so you need to datalog and look at the map before deciding that there is actually a problem AFTER you make sure your wideband is working right.
Wideband is functioning properly, I am sure.

14.4 to 14.7 at idle, cruse AFR is in normal ranges, and WOT AFR goes straight to 10.0, and would not budge, even at higher boost on a T28.

BUT, I installed a Megan Test Pipe and bam, problem solved! WOT at 15ish psi, AFR goes straight to 10.0 and slowly climbed to 10.3, I did 3 pulls with the same result, I never went into higher RPM's because I didn't want to go past 10.4 AFR, I know this could do damage as I am still on 450's. However, with the addition of a Test Pipe, and the freeing of the exhaust, I am now confident that the car is ready for the 560's and blackbox set up. I was very surprised how well the car took to a Test Pipe! I haven't had any really "noticeable" gains from cat deletes in the past, but this car loved it. It was the last of my BPU upgrades, and the car did pull harder after it was on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts