DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 Laser n/t that I'm working on a turbo setup for it. I have most of the parts to make it a turbo car. I just need to know if I need a turbo ecu and the harness. I have everything else from a 90 Talon Tsi.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Welcome Graig.... this forum rules, full of people willing to help. You will like it!

ok Now,
I am pretty sure that you do. The airflow and injector duties are differnt between the NA and Turbo models. I am not sure about the harness but more that likely that too. I would get them both to be on teh safe side

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'm assuming that when you say you have all the parts from a turbo engine you mean the pistons and connecting rods as well, right? Cuz I would definately not recommend putting in a turbo on the NT pistons. Might cause a "few" problems :).

------------------
'92 Eclipse GS 2.0L NT
http://www.geocities.com/trueracers

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a couple of 4G63 short blocks. I'm a tech for a Dodge Hyundai dealer. I work on Hyundai and Chrysler imports. But anyway are the rods not the same for the n/t and turbo engines? I heard that the rods are the same for both

·
Registered
129 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the N/A 4G63 is pretty much the same as the turbo engine exept the pistons (9.0:1) cams, injectors and some other stuff. As far as I know, the block is the same incluiding the rods.

------------------
'92 Talon TSi FWD
K&N cut air can, DDP mbc @ 15 psi
[email protected] 2.5 60ft

·
Registered
729 Posts
The N/A pistons are definetly no good for turbo. I thought the n/a rods were differant too. I have a shop manual, I'll chech that when i get a chance.

·
Registered
729 Posts
And by the way, you definetly need the turbo ecu to make the conversion. See about getting the better injecters too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have the injectors from a 90 Tsi 5 speed. The reason I asked about the Ecu is I have had Talons run off of Hyumdai Ecu before and the ran ok just for testing. Hyundai used clones of the 4G63 in there Elantra and Sonata. The parts will enter change and they cost less. I have a Hyundai oil pump and front case on my Laser now. My balance shaft would not come out of my stock one when I removed the balance shafts. So you can use the parts and save some money.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I will need a ecu and wiring harness for it also. The n/t models do not have the knock sensors. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts