DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

Well Vinman and I installed the Premium Transmission from Jackstransmissions on Sunday and it went relatively smooth until the startup and drive. Keep in mind we didn't touch the clutch at all during install, simply bell housing/transfer off and new stuff on. My symptoms:

1. From a stop in neutral, nothing
2. Clutch in, rev.... nothing
3. Clutch in, rev, clutch out like normal I get a grinding/jumbling noise. As soon as I get going though the noise goes away (about 2,750-3,000 rpm). When I hit the gas and near boost the grinding sound comes back also.

I haven't had this noise in 3rd-5th at all. Only in 1st and a little in 2nd. Once I'm in 2nd gear and downshift to first there's no noise in first. :steaming:

Here's what I've done to try and fix:
1. Bled the slave cylinder completely. Submerged in gear oil while buddy pushing the clutch in numberous times. Are these things known to be bitch to bleed and I need to go out and do it more or what?
2. Adjusted Clutch using this movie
3. The clutch fork isn't hitting the bellhousing at all.
4. The slave is relatively new, and seems to be working right but I may need a new one so it can adjust to this tranny?

1. Can a master cylinder be bled in a 1g? I was searching for the bleeder valve and couldn't find it in the engine compartment and it didn't look feasible under the dash.

2. Could the clutch fork be bent even though I didn't have this problem with the old trans?

3. Could it be the install of the transfer case to the trans? they were both 22 spline and although a bitch to get in she went.

4. Could it be just that's it's a new transmission and it needs to get broken in and all crazy sounds should be written off as normal? At first there were weird almost whistling noises with the grind but now it's just in first and a little in second.

I'm using shockproof heavy weight and valvoline 80w90 in a 50/50 mix in the trans and heavy weight in the transfercase. The clutch seems to be dragging but I don't know anything about trannies and this noise makes me cringe.

Any help?! I'm going to also call jack and if I can't figure it out it's going to a transmission shop and I really don't want to have to spend any more then I already have.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
263 Posts
Was this from the get go? you did not say if you broke it in or if you just gave her hell.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Thats why you never buy Jacks transmissions, There cheaper for a reason

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skywise said:
Thats symptomatic of the input carrier bearing failing. It sounds like rocks in a coffee can getting rolled around. I'd take it back cause it wasn't rebuilt right.

EXACTLY what it sounds like. This happened from the very beginning, no break in was really aloud. I'll look into this more.

Jack said he had to rebuild the tranny again after the initial build because the core they had grenaded while on his machine because of the wrong gearing so this tranny took longer then expected to ship/get built. Wonder if this has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
GotARed said:
Thats why you never buy Jacks transmissions, There cheaper for a reason
Cheaper because he's not waving some snake oil reasoning in front of you to clean out your wallet. He's by far the most honest, competent mechanic I've ever dealt with, hands down. Don't bash him if you've never dealt with him.

OP - As you know, Jack is a stand-up guy. Give him a call and talk to him about the issue. If his testing machine ate the first build, then I'm sure he would not have reused any parts that were damaged.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done some searching and haven't really come up with any substance that it is an input carrier bearings (i guess this isn't much of an issue for a lot of people). It doesn't sound like rocks jumbling around though that's for sure.

I'm going to take it by a transmission shop and get a free estimate. After seeing what they say and checking a few other things I've expended all options and it has to be the trans.

As for the quality of the trans it shifts absolutely beautiful. I've had no problems with his customer service either, the trans came looking very nice as well although they could have shipped in a tub with injection molding instead of a cardboard box but it made it here in once piece.

I'll have a full write up once I get this issue resolved.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I just got a standard rebuild from him and have been happy, though I haven't had the chance to put many miles on it. Went with one of the recommended gear oils (the Red Line)

He did me right as well, replaced a few things (not telling cause I wouldn't want people to expect it of him) without charging me for it. :) Soo he gets A+ in my book.

P.S. I do have a slight issue after my install though, I used a new XACT flywheel, Slow boy racing 3500 clutch Kevlar clutch disk & ACT 2600 (old style) PP. Everything works fine, but when I push the clutch all the way to the floor I hear a slight grinding sound at idle.

I was one of the unlucky people that puchased a PP and clutch disk (both ACT) from different vendors. I ended up with the new style disk with the old style PP. And instead of ordering another PP I just ordered the SBR disk since they said it worked with the old style PP's. I have no idea what the problem is only put about 200 miles on it before I poped the HG though soooo we will see when I get back from Iraq.:dunno:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Err I hate the 10min edit thing... I don't want to confuse anyone with the P.S. portion of my message, I am sure my problem is not related to the trans it's self but the clutch setup.

And again this guy is Grade A, I have never seen a company with such good customer support etc. If I ever need another trans I'll go back to him. Screw TRE and Shep is just so pricey.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Oh, you guys were talking about the drive shaft carriers, duh... Been a long day...

Ripper- I would back the adjustment at the master cylinder in 1 full turn and see if it makes the noise. If it does, go another full turn until the noise stops. Yes, you are correct- the PP fingers are extending too far and hitting the disk hub.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a vid guys. Turn your speakers up loud to hear it.

The whiring sound you hear in reverse was the same sound I got in first when I first started the car after the install, it's since gone away going forward though.

I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff so please let me know what you think.

This is throwing me for loops.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Too the Ahole ripping Jack my one friends got the regular rebuild and he is thrilled with it. I wouldn't trash someone until you have tried their product.

I personally went with the JNZ rebuild since I live right next to them and they did great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.