DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, well when i bought my car about 3 or 4 months ago, i noticed the car would grind if i tried to go into 1st while moving AT ALL. and ever since then its got worse..now about 1/3 of the time it wont even go into 1st gear at all, so i have to put it back into neutral, push the clutch back in and try 1st again UGH! this is especially annoying when im sitting at a traffic light and people are waiting and waiting for me to move!! i really dont know enough about cars to diagnose the problem or do anything about it..i know the 1st gear synchro is shot though, does that sound right? well i feel and sound reallly dumb so any help is appreciated, thanks!! also some prices on the repairs would realy help! :D ooh also, when its cold out/the car is cold, i havent actually narrowed it down..it grinds going into 2nd about 95% of the time AH!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Welcome to the DSM tranny woes my friend. DSM trannies are known for the notchiness and a slight grind here and there. Some contend with it and some rebuild. Myself, I changed the fluid to BG and just learned how the get around the notchiness. I usually shift into second before going into first. Also give her a few extra seconds with the clutch depressed while executing the above actions to help her out.
Happy shifting:)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flytalon93 said:
Welcome to the DSM tranny woes my friend. DSM trannies are known for the notchiness and a slight grind here and there. Some contend with it and some rebuild. Myself, I changed the fluid to BG and just learned how the get around the notchiness. I usually shift into second before going into first. Also give her a few extra seconds with the clutch depressed while executing the above actions to help her out.
Happy shifting:)
yep ive learned to get around it..although its still verrry annoying, and ive learned to keep the clutch depressed for a few seconds before putting it into first, too bad my clutch is STIFF as hell so that doesnt help all too much :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts