DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my 99 gsx last year,the previous owner was running the bp7es plugs. The car took a few times to start with these plugs,after running them for awhile I took them out in favor of the stock oem ngk bpr6ekn plugs,which started fine and even with my turbo upgrade (big [email protected]) they seem to perform great.

My question is the bp7es that I was using before may have not been gapped properly,could this have been the problem? And should I even worry about this if the bpr6ken plugs seem to work very well in my application.

thanks for any info. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have been running the bpr6's for a long time now and no problems at all. OEM equipment never hurt anybody!! And if the plugs were fouled or the gap was wrong before...that was probley the problem

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
augmach5 said:
My question is the bp7es that I was using before may have not been gapped properly,could this have been the problem? And should I even worry about this if the bpr6ken plugs seem to work very well in my application.

thanks for any info. :)
A wrong gap will likely cause the problems you described. A gap of 0.028" will work for you...;)

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
I prefer the BP7ES because they run cooler. If you run 15psi of boost or more it would be wise to check your plugs often. If they have a red hue to them its means they are getting too hot. If you have some type of fuel adjustability then you can sometimes get away with adding fuel, but I have never had good luck with 6's so I just run the 7's at a .025" gap.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a quote from one of our nw-dsm members.

Gap will affect this for sure. Try gapping them to .028" and put them back in to see if it starts hard again. You don't really "need" to run
7es's but it might be easier to tune out knock with the 7's.

I checked my 6s yesterday,they look very good,so Im just going to leave them in,the car runs pretty good. And I dont think I would find any secret horsepower with the 7s.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My BP7ES's worked great during the summer, handled Xylene + more boost, and did their job for great SAFC tuning. Stepping down to the BPR6ES for the fall/winter and turning the boost down a bit is all good.

Plus, with the weather getting colder, the 7's are a PITA to start in the morning, or late at night !!! How embarassing to have to explain why the car won't start yet at 1am to the ladies... :( Should have gone back to the 6's a little sooner ! hehe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts