DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Just a heads up before a moderator has to tell you, watch your punctuation and grammar on this forum..;)

I'm sure you could get away with a 75shot but why would you chance it when you can just mod for more boost/fuel..:dunno:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the heads up, i appreciate it. the reason im asking is because my brother has a gst and i had ordered a nitrous kit and planned on just flipping for more than what i got it for, but he's thinking of hookin it up to his car. so just wanted to definitely make sure that it would handle it.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The heads up was given, like you mentioned, so follow it. And yea, I'd say just sell it, and put that money into upgrading boost/fuel, like mentioned above.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Man a mod is going to cancel his membership in about 2.5. Talk about not taking a hint.
Turbo=More air/fuel safely
Nitrous "NOS"=Chemical air (i.e. BAD if not done w/ supporting mods)
A cheaters way out that usually ends in a blown engine, especially those pesky manifolds.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Install the nitrous kit. I've experienced first hand the effects of a 75 shot on a stock 1G. These engines LOVE nitrous. As long as it's a wet kit. With a wet kit you can add fuel or reduce fuel just by changing the jets.

Most people in here are scared of nitrous for some reason. I have a lot of experience with it and LOVE it. If I had a dollar for every time I beat the big turbo guys I'd be rich. Some people think that dumping tons of money into their motors and putting on a huge turbo is the best way to go. Those people have been told that from day 1 by other people and they just think it's correct. My way of looking at things is simple. Spend less money and go faster. I'm of course speaking from a stand point of a AWD DSM that is NOT a daily driver. But it sure is nice to putt around town with a 16G that is very potent and good on gas, and then take it to the track and run consistant low 11's. But hell, maybe I'm wrong. But looking at how much money I've spent going this route makes me smile. If I'm wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I feel bad for PROZIUM451. He thinks going fast with nitrous is cheating. Some of the V8 guys would say that him force feeding his engine with boost is cheating. So I guess it all depends on your view point. Personally if we race and I lose, that means I have a slower car no matter what way I choose to make my power. But if I win and you have $5,000 more than me in parts under your hood, that means you should probably rethink your go-fast morals.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It has nothing to do with "going fast" and beating people on the street. Bottom line you can't just throw a little money at something and expect it to be reliable. You have to understand the theory of nitrous oxide. Just because you have a "wet" system doesn't mean it's safe. He wants to know how much NOx he can use in a turbo system. And the chances of going lean and effing something up is pretty good. Your already forcing compressed air into the engine, NOx produces a hell of alot of O2, add those two together along with the inability of the computer to compensate for said oxygen and your going into dangerous territory. You might be ok you might not. Don't risk it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Of course he needs to know what he's doing before installing nitrous, but then again he can't just slap on a bigger turbo either. People need to know what they're doing for every mod they invest in. The fact is, our cars are a lot better suited for nitrous than a N/A car would be. Our ecu's are ever changing and adapting all the time. Early in the morning and late in the evening are when they are constantly adjusting ignition timing and fuel curve, because that's when the air has the higher levels of oxygen content. Because our cars can compensate for so many different factors when it comes to making power, it's very reasonable to believe that a reasonable size shot of nitrous would be tolerated with ease.

I have many years of experience with DSM's, ESPECIALLY nitrous powered DSM's and I've yet to see nitrous do more damage to a motor than a turbo motor without nitrous. Granted there are those times when nitrous gets piston rings too hot and over time it leads to a rebuild. But I have seen far more rebuilds at the hands of large turbo's.

Bottom line is that people need to know what their doing and make sure they have enough fuel. Knowing your compression in each cylinder along with egt's are important also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts