DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, tonight i hit WOT trying to keep a 5.0 from passing me :)D) and i hear this noise. so i slow and the noise sounds like a belt that has come loose or snapped and is rattling around. i had been hearing a rattling for the last few weeks but hadnt been able to figure out what it was. whatever it was got destroyed tonight. because after i slowed and pulled over to check the belts (all ok) and the oil (filled, but 3/4 quart empty) i went to drive out on the main street and whatever was broken off earlier got caught up in the belts and dropped out from under the car. so i later pulled back into work and found bits and pieces of an electronic plug in piece and some other shit. I was getting zero readout on my oil pressure gauge the whole while here. but when i put the key into "on" and the boost/water temp gauges react and go to the middle position.......the oil gauge just sits there dead. so i guess i busted something electronic that signals the oil pressure gauge to read? sound like something that would break and rattle around, then get caught in the belts and get thrown out? not sure what the hell it was, but i drove the car home and it was fine. i figure since the oil pressure gauge is not working and i found an electronic piece under the hood....i must have broke something non critical that goes to the oil pressure gauge. any other ideas of what may have broke and caused the oil pressure gauge to shut down or read nothing at all times? should i drive the car? it it is filled with oil should i be concerned?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ok first off before you drive the car any more check to see if you are getting oil up into your valve cover. If the car is running and you can see a healthy amout of oil on the cams thru the oil cap hole then you do actually have oil pressure and the car probably is fine to drive.

If thats the case i think you jjust broke your oil pressure sender and or the wiring connection that plugs into it. I dont know how hte hell you could have done that but whatever.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheezoto said:

If thats the case i think you jjust broke your oil pressure sender and or the wiring connection that plugs into it.
i think that is what i did. something was rattling around loose (probably that) and must have gotten caught up in the belts and then caught up in them again the second time. good idea about the oil in the covers check....i'll go do that now.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, there is mucho oil flowing through there. little bit even splashing out thru the fill cap hole. and its about 3/4 quart low since i let it slide for a few weeks extra (usually know when to fill it when its 1/2 quart low). i'll fill it up to the top, and check again in the morning when its cold. i think it was the electronic piece that busted off and got flung around in there. i just hate driving with no Oil pressure gauge. i got an autometer gauge on the pillar too that isnt working (never installed it, just put it on the pillar and lit it up). so i got two oil gauges and no readouts. :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
if you turn your wheels to the left all the way and look just in front of your driver side tire, you'll see a lil wire coming down with a black clip on it... on the back of the oil filter assy, you'll see a metal'ish looking canister facing the drivers seat and angled down slightly kinda like -> / that, on the side facing toward the back, there is a small screw like connected on it... that black plastic connector slips over it... no locking mechanism... they come off fairly easily.. mine had to be ziptied arond the pressure sensor *after* I clipped it back on and with no slack it still manages to slip off enough occasionally to kill my oil pres. gauge. lots of people solder the connection or tape/tie it down REALLY good.

if you are missing those things.... ya that was what was rattling around and snagge don the belts then :p

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tekky_98_TSi said:
if you turn your wheels to the left all the way and look just in front of your driver side tire, you'll see a lil wire coming down with a black clip on it... on the back of the oil filter assy, you'll see a metal'ish looking canister facing the drivers seat and angled down slightly kinda like -> / that, on the side facing toward the back, there is a small screw like connected on it... that black plastic connector slips over it... no locking mechanism... they come off fairly easily.. mine had to be ziptied arond the pressure sensor *after* I clipped it back on and with no slack it still manages to slip off enough occasionally to kill my oil pres. gauge. lots of people solder the connection or tape/tie it down REALLY good.

if you are missing those things.... ya that was what was rattling around and snagge don the belts then :p
funny, sounds exactly the area the noises were coming from. like around the belts, yet more near the front tire. def that is where i found all the pieces....right in front of the tire up top though. its dark now, so i'll check that out in the morning for sure. i hope this is all it is.....because i will just hook up the autometer gauge and be done with it. better off anyway.

·
Registered
943 Posts
ouch pieces? geez musta hit something to knock it off if you found pieces... anyways good luck ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tekky_98_TSi said:
ouch pieces? geez musta hit something to knock it off if you found pieces... anyways good luck ;)
the pieces came about when it got caught up in the belts. :D i found one big piece that was a two sided electronic connector. i think both sides were male. it was all in one piece and was black. the rest was like shredded up string. i have it in the saliva CD case that is being used as an evidence locker. :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
LOL nice choice :p

anyways if you can post a pic of the piece that came off I can tell you if thats it or not... sounds like it might be but I've never taken mine off... just reconnected the sending wire MANY MANY times....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tekky_98_TSi said:
LOL nice choice :p

anyways if you can post a pic of the piece that came off I can tell you if thats it or not... sounds like it might be but I've never taken mine off... just reconnected the sending wire MANY MANY times....
i just shot a few pics of it, got the digital cam hooked up.....but how do i post pics here off of the cam?

·
Registered
943 Posts
hmmm good question, I think you have to have a place to upload htem to then link to from here... just email to [email protected] and I'll check them out from my mail acct here

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tekky_98_TSi said:
hmmm good question, I think you have to have a place to upload htem to then link to from here... just email to [email protected] and I'll check them out from my mail acct here
jesus christmas. i got the pics up here, but how the hell to email them is beyond me.

·
Registered
943 Posts
if using outlook or another mail client that downloads email, attach the file.... if using webmail you have to browse to find the file, then attach the file (file uploads) then you send the email

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks buddy. i forgot to actually open the "write mail" screen to look for "attach photo". i was looking for it on the Inbox menu. brain fart #2. brain fart #1 was needing to be told to look under the oil fill cap to see if there was pressure. :D :D i am used to my V8's so the turbo car throws me off sometimes (even though i feel more comfortable working on it than the V8's for some reason).....and i am used to AOL mail, not MSN mail, so that threw me too. let me know what the hell that piece is. thanks.

·
Registered
943 Posts
well Icant tell for sure if thats the oil pres. sender but it sure looksl ike it could be by the internal piece youcan see.... looks ilek the clip for the send is missing off it though....

the black plug is the end of the sending wire that goes to the sender for the guage to work I'm almost positive on that ;) mine doesnt have the clips on it... but it looks like that ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tekky_98_TSi said:
well Icant tell for sure if thats the oil pres. sender but it sure looksl ike it could be by the internal piece youcan see.... looks ilek the clip for the send is missing off it though....

the black plug is the end of the sending wire that goes to the sender for the guage to work I'm almost positive on that ;) mine doesnt have the clips on it... but it looks like that ;)
\

ok thanks man. check out my other thread i started too....seems i am sans A/C belt as well................:mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts