DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Info on Car - Racing Akimoto Intake, Blitz BOV, Shortened Dump Tube, everything else stock. Driving car and car boosts to 13psi in 2nd gear and then all of a sudden car starts missing and I have no Power. Checked compression, spark plugs, wires and that came out fine. Checked primary coil resistance which was 1.4 ohms which is out of the range of .7-.86 ohms which factory requires. Secondary coil resistance was in the recommended factory specs. Could the ignition coil be the cause of my problems or could it be fuel related? any info would be helpful.

·
Registered
871 Posts
maybe a boost leak??? mine did that once, it would be ok till 15psi then it would just start doing what you described. in my case one of the hose clamps was cracked on my ic pipe, it would hold till i hit 15psi then leak.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention after that incident it misses when I accelerate throughout the whole rpm band. I can't event get to 5 psi. The car just has no power, hate to buy an ignition coil and that not be the problem considering a new one cost $100

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
If it was me; I'd replace that coil...seeing as how the coil's primary is double in resistance. Ignition is key in creating misses upon acceleration, and if the engine is missing then naturally you don't have the exhaust flow to spool the turbo and create boost. I can't quite remember which is which but, I believe that the primary circuit is responsible for creating the power for spark that comes out of the secondary. It is that or vice-versa. Either way if one is bad, no power.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
836 Posts
I’ve had a very similar problem with my tsi when I bought it, I thought of replacing the coils but before I’ve done that I’ve changed the spark plugs – and guess what - yep, the problem went away, try this it may work for you to and it’s never a bad idea to change your plugs, especially considering the cost difference between the coil and the plug!

As far as I know the best plugs that you can get for DSM are: NGK BP7ES or if not available then try NGK BPR7ES (R=resistor) –and yes, don’t forget to properly gap them – a lot of people think they come pre-gapped.

Good luck!
Let me know how it went ! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I first thought it was the spark plugs so I replaced them but the problem is still there.
It misses when idling so I guess it must be the ignition coil. Thanks for responses and the info.

Patrick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts