DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 eclipse gst and it will not start. The battery is good based on various tests and the starter has been replaced. There is 12 volts going from the battery to the solenoid. When I jump the starter with a screwdriver from the positive terminal to the small connector on top it turns over. When I have the key in the on position I don’t get any power to the small connector on the solenoid. I already tried bypassing the starter relay which didn’t work. Also tested to see if the starter relay was getting 12 volts and it is. I did use to hear a buzzing noise coming from the starter relay several times before the car would start. Now nothing happens. I’m starting to think it is the ignition switch, what do y’all think?

·
Registered
10 Posts
95 NT here but the basics are the same. First off ... I'm not saying its not your ignition switch but heres my .02c for what its worth. Ive never heard a buzz from my starter relay but then it starts first shot. There may be 12v going to the relay coil but is it getting a ground? If not it wont energize the coil. Where are you getting the ground from for your voltmeter or test light to confirm 12v? From the negative terminal on the starter relay or another ground source? It might have 12v into the relay coil during cranking but if you didnt test for a ground at the relay and there isnt one that could be the issue. Assuming you got the ground from a piece of metal or the cigarette lighter or some other source... check for ground at the relay when you try to crank. I wouldnt use an ohm meter because you dont want to damage it during cranking. Set the meter for voltage instead then connect to the positive terminal on the relay or even right to the battery. Then connect the negative lead on the meter to the negative side of the relay coil and see if you get anything. Obviously if youve already tested this and theres a ground into the relay then thats not the issue. If however during testing, the relay ground isnt present i'd check the neutral safety switch if its an automatic to see if theres continuity with an ohm meter when in park. You can unplug the connector at the transmission then test it. Or if its a manual...possibly the clutch safety switch at the pedal is bad...since it provides ground to the starter relay. Could also be alarm related since i THINK the alarm disables the starter relay. Not sure on that one. Check for relay ground first as described then go from there. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i got it, thank you for the explanation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts