DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somethimes I am driving my car and go past about 4k rpms it starts making this clicking noise like something is touching the belt? So I took the timing belt cover off and there was A little wear where something has touched it. So I left it off and took it for another drive still the same noise. When I leave my car at idle and I out my head next to the belts I can hear a clicking noise not sure if its the belts also kind of close to the valve cover? It doesnt happin all the time but most of the time. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
631 Posts
a clicking noise that sounds like something is touching the belt? You lost me there....does anything squeek? I guess you could pull your belts off (not the timing belt) and spin the pullies for the alternator/waterpump/power steering and see if you can feel or hear a clicking sound

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds as if you put a piece paper in fan How it clicks and as it goes faster the clicking gets faster. Yeah it makes a kind of squeeling noise

·
Registered
927 Posts
kalaco said:
So I took the timing belt cover off and there was A little wear where something has touched it.
Where did you notice this. On which part of the cover?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The timing belt cover the wear is on tup of the timing belt and inside of the cover. But the cover is off and its still makig the noise

·
Registered
927 Posts
There will be wear on top of the belt due to the tensioner. As for the inside of the cover, I was able to figure that part out. My question is where inside the cover? Like by the cam gears, down by the crank, or somewhere else?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like at the very top of the cam gears or from the timing belt itself? there was a broken bolt that holds the cover on so my guess is that it rubbed against it when I bumped it or something?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Not hard, should take 15 mins to pull all the belts. Might I suggest you dont drive the car until you have found the problem. Its much easier to replace a timing belt, then it is replace a head and valves and pistons if your lucky. Cheaper too might I add.

·
Registered
631 Posts
...if ya dont know how to do it find a friend that does or knows how to work with cars and let him do and and watch closely and learn...it's better to see it done right rather than jackin stuff up...everyone's gotta start somewhere.

·
Registered
332 Posts
back when I had my car it made a noise like that, turned out the balance shaft belt broke and was rubbing the timing belt.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im thinking maybe cause Im losing alot of coolant now? Anyone also think yhis could be a possibillity?

·
Registered
332 Posts
could be the water pump. do yourself a favor and don't drive it untill you figure it out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts