DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, i finally did what you guys told me to do. When i would hit full boost (stock) then my oil dipstick would pop up a bit and it would shoot oil out along with it. Well, i replaced it with a new one, and it still pops up, but just BARELY, and it's still letting some oil out....what do you think is still doing this?? Do i have some SERIOUS blow by or what???? I have yet to do a compression test, so i think that's my next step after this......

P.S. this is all on my 1g of course......;)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
my guess would be blow by then. do the comp test it will tell you alot about the engines condition.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it has blow by, i'm going to be serously pissed.....
i bought this car from another guy a couple of months ago.
The timing belt slipped when he had it and the mechanic put in a 93 7bolt into my talon :( Maybe i'll just say fuck it, and after i get done with building my 420a here in a couple of months, i'll stick a 6bolt in my 1g.......:D

·
Registered
518 Posts
You could try putting a bend in the dipstick opposite to the direction the tube curves.....did this on mine, and the most it has popped out was about 1/2in. Worth a shot IMO.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Get yhe ol' pliers out and clamp onto the oil pipe the dipstick goes into.

Tighten up the top alittle so the dipstick is tighter at top - that will fix the problem right up

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't think fixing the dipstick popping out should be the fix here. I would think its popping out for a reason so fixing it so it doesn't pop out will only mask a problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did not read your previous thread, but have you checked your pcv valve to make sure it does not allow any presure to escape from the manifold? Hopefully you aren't gonna end up with the same results as me. Had my dipstick blowing out so I crimped it and eliminated the pcv altogether and the damn this is still blowing out. Turns out it seems to be the turbo that is the culprite (spelling?) its leeking boost and oil out the back and more then likely into the oil return line.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Buy a new dip stick and a pcv valve. Try that out. It might work.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Does your DSM seem to come onto boost kinda slow. Maybe it is because you are pressurizing the entire engine to 20 psi :p

Yeah, new PCV valve - good idea. I'd recommend using a Mitsu valve. Some of the others have been known to leak.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yea, you probably wouldn't find my thread, cause it was quite awhile ago but i'm just now getting my stuff together to get it fixed. Otherwise, i'm just having my g/f drive me around in her 96hp Kia Rio :eek:!!! Either way, the first thing i replaced was the PCV valve, original dipstick still popped out about 1/2" but then more and more if i drove it with out putting it back in. Ordered a new dipstick and finally got it and put it in. Definately a tighter fit, but still pops out about 1/4" and lets oil out. I replaced the turbo with a big16g and replaced all oil and water lines (brand new) to the turbo (send lines and return lines) so i'm not sure what the deal is.....

My idle is kinda funky too, not as bad as some of the idle surge stories i've heard, but maybe my ECU capacitors are leaking, so that'll be the next thing i'll take a look at. I've already tested the ISC and looked to see if my BISS screw is still there and it is......

My boost comes very quickly, i hit full boost at about 3500 (stock boost) hallman MBC should be here in 1 more day! :D

Could my stock cat be clogged and it's backing up pressure through the head and creating more positive crankcase pressure than the PCV valve can let out and therefore making my dipstick pop out??? I'm going on theories here because i don't wanna believe that this engine has blown rings too. that'll be 2 cars i have to replace rings/rebuild an engine on :( but why should i be crying to you guys? I'm sure you guys have heard it all on trying to supe up 2 cars at the same time.....it's extremely hard while working and going to college. Well, either way, hit me back and tell me what ya'll think......:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Check the hose from your pcv valve to your intake to make sure it isn't plugged. The pcv system's function is to remove fuel vapors from the engines crank case. If it plugs up pressure will build in your engine and it will push oil past seals,gaskets and could also push your dipstick out. You might also have worn rings that allow leakage to over pressurize your crankcase.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had this happen the other day while driving to work, I was working the gears and as I got up to 6krpm in third. My interior fills up with smoke and leave a puff of white smoke on the interstate, obviously I freak out and begin to think I melted my je's, I was pushing about 15 psi on crappy 91 octane (the max we can get at the pump around here), so I blame the gas for it at first, but it turns out I was blowing so much oil out of the dipstick it was burning off my exhaust manifold. I don't want to blame blow by since this motor only has about 8,000 on it's second rebuild, and secondly it hasn't done it again, although it will still pop out the dipstick about 1/2 in. if I drive it hard. I've since lowered my boost level down to about 12-13psi and leaned my afc a few degrees and I see anywhere from 1-3 knock counts @wot in any gear as compared to 9 and up knock counts @15psi.
Needless to say it feels stronger now since I'm getting better timing but I've also had my brother drive my car and open it up, and I tend to notice a very small amount of white smoke out the muffler while the cars under boost, also a good amount of exhaust fume smell. Let me know what you guys think about this, I definitely need to do a compression check but I'm afraid of what the results may be. The car doesn't feel sluggish at all, not noticeably at least. Thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
The dipstick popping out has been a old method of telling when you are getting blowby due to worn rings. I'm sure a search would bring it up somewhere here but I have read several threads were people were asking if there rings were worn and people would ask if their dipstick is popping out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Here is the answer from the 1000 already asked questions:

My oil dip stick keeps popping out! Is there a fix?

The dip stick is often usually forced out by excessive crankcase pressure. In many cases, however, this is not due to an increase in crankcase pressure - rather, it is due to a decrease in the holding power of the dip stick. Lots of these cars are over 5 years old, with many approaching the 10 year mark, and most rubber parts have lots their original resiliant nature. The rubber plug on the dip stick may have shrunk and hardened over time, causing the stick to come out more easily than before.

If replacing the dip stick rubber doesn't help, the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve is often at fault. This is an inexpensive little part that is supposed to vent excess pressure, but it can wear out or clog. A quick replacement may be in order.

Another possibility is replacing the breather hose with a small K&N valve cover filter, which will hopefully help to vent excess pressure. Bad turbo oil seals and worn piston rings are the next likely suspects.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
A brand new, race ready, hand built engine will show 6% or less on a leak down test. Well, if you figure how much air is going thru the engine at 6000 rpm and 15 pounds of boost, 6% of that leaking to the crankcase is already a lot of air. And it all has to leave thru the little hose at the end of the valve cover because the PCV valve is closed when boosting.

If you look at a Winston Cup engine you see large stacks rising off of each valve cover to handle this air. With all the other alterations we do to our engines, I don't see why we never change this plumbing.

By the way, somebody needs to explain to me how bad turbo seals pressurizes the crankcase.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, i've already read all of those posts from the "1000 questions" site, and i've already had people tell me to change my PCV and my dipstick, i did both and still popping out. I blew through the line that goes to the PCV and i blew through it pretty easily, no blocks at all. I know it can't be bad turbo seals because it's a brand new Big 16g from Extreme Turbo.......so i guess the next thing would be to suspect blown rings.......:(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts