DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
View attachment fmic.bmp Hey guys need some help on selecting an oil port whether it be from the head or the filter housing.
The problem is my intercooler pipeing runs in front of oil filter housing and might be in the way of the 3/8 x -4an 90elbow used for oil line.
Can i use one of the ports on the bottom instead.
By the way Turbo is a Garrett t3-.63A/R stage3 Hotside, .60A/R

·
Registered
577 Posts
It's been a while but from what I read in the past I think you can use any port on the oil filter housing including the stock port. I also think I read something about problems with running it off the filter housing with pressure being to high or low depending on what turbo you are using, I can't rember but I would research more.

·
Registered
701 Posts
View attachment 6165 Hey guys need some help on selecting an oil port whether it be from the head or the filter housing.
The problem is my intercooler pipeing runs in front of oil filter housing and might be in the way of the 3/8 x -4an 90elbow used for oil line.
Ball Bearing turbos can utilize the oil feed from the CAS side of the head. Standard bearing turbos require a pressurized oil feed from the filter housing. There is more than one oil outlet on the filter housing but only one feeds filtered oil. The other port will feed your turbo un-filtered oil.

I would personaly just adjust the piping. That would be the correct way to go about this.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had to notch the same part of the chassis for my side exit wastegate dump. You can make a rough cut with a sawzall or cut-off wheel,than a carbide or grinding wheel to smooth out the notch.

·
Registered
259 Posts
View attachment 6165 Hey guys need some help on selecting an oil port whether it be from the head or the filter housing.
The problem is my intercooler piping runs in front of oil filter housing and might be in the way of the 3/8 x -4an 90elbow used for oil line.
You can use the lower port on the filter housing, but you'll be sending unfiltered oil to the turbo.

I wouldn't feed a Garrett from the head unless you're absolutely sure it's using the 270* thrust plate. The 270* thrust plate has smaller oiling holes which keeps more pressure in the cartridge, leaving more oil available for the journal bearings. Feeding a 360* thrust Garrett from the head is a bad idea unless your car has no balance shafts and an unported filter housing relief- and even then you still may be in the danger zone depending on your boost level.

Ball Bearing turbos can utilize the oil feed from the CAS side of the head. Standard bearing turbos require a pressurized oil feed from the filter housing.
Too much of a blanket statement.

You must pay attention to what your turbo's manufacturer recommends. MHI turbos are fed from the head with a restrictor in the OEM line because the TD05H cartridge prefers a max of 42-48psi of oil pressure under full load. Feeding one of these turbos from the filter housing without a restrictor can be fatal.

If you check your turbo manufacturer's recommended oiling specs and abide by them you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You can use the lower port on the filter housing, but you'll be sending unfiltered oil to the turbo.

I wouldn't feed a Garrett from the head unless you're absolutely sure it's using the 270* thrust plate. The 270* thrust plate has smaller oiling holes which keeps more pressure in the cartridge, leaving more oil available for the journal bearings. Feeding a 360* thrust Garrett from the head is a bad idea unless your car has no balance shafts and an unported filter housing relief- and even then you still may be in the danger zone depending on your boost level.

Too much of a blanket statement.

You must pay attention to what your turbo's manufacturer recommends. MHI turbos are fed from the head with a restrictor in the OEM line because the TD05H cartridge prefers a max of 42-48psi of oil pressure under full load. Feeding one of these turbos from the filter housing without a restrictor can be fatal.

If you check your turbo manufacturer's recommended oiling specs and abide by them you'll be just fine.
I don't know about you but I don't get ANY tech info from these forums. Manufacturer only! Look at my threads. Never have I asked for advice. He should be calling up the dealer/man. that it was purchased from. Generally speaking my statement was not false. Which judging by his knowledge of these vehicles was all I was going to get into on this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.