DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well here is what happend. I bought a fully built 98 gst because i have always loved eclipse's. After the first week i went around wal-mart one day came back home and her some kinda knocking and it was over heating and throwing water and oil out if the over flow. Dumbass me thought the temp gage was broke.. Well i pulled the head got a felpro gasket set and replaced the head gasket cause there was a good bit of oil in my water. But not in the motor oil. Got everything back on and running right and saw there was still some oil in the water so i got a flush kit and ran it through. Two days later i checked the water because the hose was still swelling up like the head gasket was bad. and when i took the cap off it was nothing but pure oil.. no water.:mad: I am lost can someone tell me after fixing all that why there is straight oil in my water the car ran and didnt overheat. So if someone could tell me it would be a BIGGG help! Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
When you did the headgasket, did you have the head checked to see if it was warped? Also, did you re-use the old head bolts?

The head will almost always warp if you overheat these cars. The factory head bolts strech and can't be reused, you must replace them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so yeah the head has to be warped so i guess i should pull it off and get it machined.. idk wtf i was thinking i knew i should of had it done but i guess im not used to the dsm.. thanks for the help do u think it could be anything else?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Yes, there is *ALWAYS* something else it could be. But if you overheated the car and didn't check for a warped head, and its throwing signs of a headgasket again, thats the #1 place to start.

Don't worry about not thinking about that. My roommate just dropped the motor out of a 93 firebird to rebuild the tranny and do headgaskets. He put the whole thing back together, and guess what HE didn't do! Now he's going to have to do it the hard way, as the motor is in the car, and its a LT1 to boot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
^^^+2 on that one. The oil filter housing is cooled by the coolant and there's quite a bit of oil pressure so it's most likely that it will push oil into coolant passeges, rather than coolant into the oil. See if you still have your stock setup of running coolant thru the housing, a few people don't run coolant thru there after an engine rebuild.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My bets are on a cracked and failed oil cooler. The oil psi is usually higher than the coolant psi and will push oil into the coolant when the engine is running. The crack either closes up without the oil psi forcing it open or does not allow enough coolant into the oil to make it noticeable. I see this failure alot on turbodiesel trucks at the IHC dealer I work at.

Its possible that the oil filter got tightened too much or just simply age. The brazings on the fin seams could have just let go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the help! i am gonna check that filter housing. i didnt think it was a problem with the head cause the car runs fine and does not over heat. but those are the only 2 reasons there is soo much oil in the water?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Im having the same issue right now. I have oil in my water, but no water in my oil. Checked the compression and its 160 for number 4.3.2 cyl and 155 for number 1 cyl. I thought it was the oil filter housing also. I just did an oil change and put the filter rather tight because i was having issues a while back of the oil filter comming lose. Im just going to replace the whole housing. Post when im done with that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.