DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok since i bought my car 3 weeks ago the oil pressure gauge hasnt worked,despite the engine having oil pressure.the guy pointed that out when i bought the car.so i did a search to see if there was any kind of quirky reason that the gauge wouldnt work,and i found out about the wire that comes so easily disconnected.ok so theres step on to solve the problem.so today at work i got under the car and look at the oil filter area as instructed,and what i found is below.so what i wanna know is what is that mystery wire,and what the hell is that canister looking thing.is that the sending unit?and is that wire the wire that goes into it?cause it sure didnt look like it.there was no spade connector on the canister or anything,just that metal nipple-like protrusion coming off of it.so whats the deal?:confused: :confused: sorry bout the long post,but i really want to keep tabs on my oil press,as there is 102k on the motor,and it is getting colder.thanks a bunch!

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,894 Posts
Yes, the canister is the oil pressure sender for the gauge and the wire attaches to it. If you look closely at the connector on the wire you'll note that it's slotted on one of the broad sides and has an opening on the end that you would think attachs to a spade connector. It doesn't, you slide that end over the little disk on the sender making sure the the slot in the connector lines up with the stud supporting the disk. When is coupled the wire will come off the end of the sender at 90 degrees from the sender centerline not on the centerline like a spade would be. It's hard to explain in words but once you see it you'll go duh.

Steve

·
Registered
129 Posts
good picture, that helped out a lot. My gauge just quit the other day and i was wondering what caused it. Sure enough, i got under the car and that wire was hanging there. Thanks man

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
anyone have a better way to keep that wire on other than zip ties?
:confused:

·
Registered
587 Posts
yes, if you stick a small screwdriver into the connector, and pry the metal contact outward slightly, it'll put more a decent amount more pressure on the connection, and the connector should stay tight.

-craig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts