DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently took my car on its first "distance" trip since the new rebuild(not so new anymore, ~900 miles). It wasn't that long of a trip, but just continuous highway driving without much speed change.
Anyway, cruising at about 55-60, my stock oil gauge was high up around the second "tick" mark. Any faster than 60, and it would creep past that mark slightly. My aftermarket oil pressure gauge, however, stayed in the 40's... which is pretty normal, ~10psi per 1k rpm right?
The car has had higher pressure, from the B/S eliminated/rebuild I'm guessing.

I've driven these speeds before, and the stock gauge has never been that high. I know the stock gauge can be worthless, buy my Prosport has also been slightly off... not registering pressure at idle.
Will an oil warning light come on that is accurate? And by then are there already problems?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the stock sender goes bad, will it start to show high pressure like this?
It seems the pressure on the stock gauge is getting higher, while my aftermarket gauge still reads the same.

·
Registered
658 Posts
goalieman24 said:
If the stock sender goes bad, will it start to show high pressure like this?
It seems the pressure on the stock gauge is getting higher, while my aftermarket gauge still reads the same.
It could although whenever I've had one go bad it reads lower, it could also be your prosport gauge.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
My oil pressure on a no BS, no squirter engine is ~20 @ hot idle, 80 @ hot 65-70mph, 100+ @ hot WOT. Many have confirmed the same pressures on their setups.

My stock gauge (before the new engine or mechanical gauge) read mid notch or above at cruise or WOT on my old 7 bolt complete engine @ 140k miles, and did about the same on my new 6 bolt no BS/squirter engine as well. I since got a mechanical oil press gauge to see my actual oil press, and from what I saw, assumed I had about the same oil pressure between engines, even with the difference in BS/No BS and no squirters...:dunno:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts