DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ihad built a 2.3l stroker motor and finally just got the engine all ready to go and tried to fire her up today. I pulled the fuse and turned the car over for a little bit, put the fuses back and fired her up for just maybe 10 seconds most. My guage was reading zero oil pressure. Its an aftermarket gauge, im pretty sure the sender got damaged when we put the engine back in the bay, it didnt break but it took a nasty hit going in. Is there a was to test it or a good way to make sure i do have oil pressure before i start it anymore?

It ran with the valve cover off and there was oil spiting out of it and the lifters wernt ticking or anything so im sure there is pressure but what can i do to be sure? Could i pull the plug from the head that feeds the turbo and see if oil shoots out of it maybe? Im going to find the stock sender and try that for now with the stock gauge to see if it does anything.

I cant think of any reason why i wouldnt have pressure because i did pack the pump and check oil clearences on the bearings and that all was spec. BS bearings are 180* . I have to try and fine a new sender for this gauge i think.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the oil light wasnt on either, but i suposse that dont really mean anything. haha

If i pull the fuses again and just try cranking it could i pull off the oil filter to see if oil shoots out or something? If it does that means i have pressure for sure right?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any suggestions guys, Im not going to be near the car till the weekend so id like to have a gameplan for when i get there.

The oil light wasnt on the dash also? Can you test the sender in anyway to see if it is functioning?

When i packed the oil pump it was a while ago, i assembled the bottom end and did that months ago, i used vasilene in it. I was woried that its been so long that maybe it went shitty or something but i searched on here and found a longtime member had said its not necesary to pack the pump anyway.

Plastigauge showed in spec clearences, theres no leaks new pump. So if i actually have no pressure why is that? Im pretty sure the gauge or sender is fubbared but it still bothers me.

I read someone on here also from searching that you can put compressed air in say the pvc valve and block anyother opening, and pull your filter off and when oil squirts out the filter housing everything is primed.

Im kinda woried that the pump just isnt priming. But i worry alot :) Like i say the oil light isnt on the dash but that also doesnt really mean shit, ya know.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I had a sending unit SNAP OFF a while back, and I didn't have an oil light come up either, so I wouldn't let that tell you what's going on. I just sent payment for an autometer oil pressure sending unit from someone on the board here, because the stock one, which is more expensive ANYWAYS, doesn't work with my aftermarket autometer oil pressure gauge. It shoots the gauge all the way up PAST 100 psi. But yea, I would definately wait for another to come in, and make sure you ordered the right one, so if you have an autometer...go to extremepsi and order one, I about did, until I found the one on here. It's only about 30 bucks or so.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah im pretty sure that the problem, Im looking for a new sender now.

My biggest concern is that the oil pump isnt priming for some reason. Id like to try and confirm that it did prime and i do have pressure while i wait for the new sender tho. Generally when i order something online it always come from the US and with customs and that crap its usually 2 weeks before i get the stuff. lol

If it comes down to i am having priming problems does that compressed air trick really work? That seems to be the easiest way to do it for sure.

·
Registered
370 Posts
There is a trick in priming up the oil pump by removing the sender unit, put a threaded nipple in it's place, the hook up a vinyl tubing to that nipple and pump in oil to get oil throughout the system before you crank things over. This way, your pump is all primed and ready to go.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
op712 said:
There is a trick in priming up the oil pump by removing the sender unit, put a threaded nipple in it's place, the hook up a vinyl tubing to that nipple and pump in oil to get oil throughout the system before you crank things over. This way, your pump is all primed and ready to go.
When my pump wouldn't prime, even with an air ratchet this is the method that worked great for me..

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
hawaiifiveoh said:
You know what I just realized...?

I think for the first time ever, I might've contributed something decent for once. I'm freakin' out...........man.
500+ posts and that's the first time you've contributed something decent?:chair:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Burnett03 said:
500+ posts and that's the first time you've contributed something decent?:chair:
Lol, yea, all those other 500 posts were pretty muh just asking a shit ton of questions...:eek: And by the first time I've contributed, I meant like, it's the first time that I answered something that wasn't an easy ass question, something I learned from experience. Go ahead, flame all you want, but I'm learning...little by little, lol.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.

So are you saying to pull the sender and put a fitting in there that fits, 1/8npt i belive and hook a hose to it with the other end of the hose hooked to a big syringe filled with oil and pump it in to prime it?

Is that what you mean?

So first ill pull the filter maybe and try cranking it over to see if oil spirts out and if it does then the pump did prime and the sender is fubbard, and if not the sender may be fine and it just didnt prime. And ill do the above procedure to cure that issue.

I did use a good assembly lube so im hoping everything is fine if i actually did run it with no pressure.

·
Registered
370 Posts
big syringe filled with oil and pump it in to prime it?

Is that what you mean?
Yea, just take off the oil cap to see the oil come up to the head and when this happens you got the system all primed up.

I did use a good assembly lube so im hoping everything is fine if i actually did run it with no pressure.
...I trust that you didn't accidently cover up any oil pump holes with any gasket material......why no prime and pressure....

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok i have a good idea what im gonna do when i get there on the weekend now.

Thanks for the info on that, and if you mean plugging up some oiling holes with rtv of anything i didnt use any on any of the gaskets. I did use copper spray on alot of gaskets but thats it. And the gaskets themselves were on correctly and wernt blocking anything.

Again i think the sender is bad but hey, anything is possible right :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.