DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with balance shaft removed notice their oil pressure level compared to before? I just have my b shaft removed and the oil pressure seems to have drop a little from what it was before. From what I understand, removing the b shaft should increase the oil pressure instead of the opposite. Am I missing something?

The oil level is lower than the first mark when cruising around 2500rpm. Normally, it would stay slightly above the first mark. I was wondering if the oil pressure is normal and worry if long there is any long term problem if this continue. Please share your experience.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You coulda just bumped the sending unit. ALSO, did you remember to spin the bearings 180 degrees or install the blockoff bearings?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A shop remove the b shaft for me because the block needs to be rebuilt. I believed they used the block off bearings since the block was out of the car. The oil pump should be new. I am wondering if the oil squirters are the one causing the lower oil pressure. The block was cleaned when it was out.

·
Elite DSMtalker
906 Posts
If the entire block was cleaned including all the passages and journals, its entirely possible your Oil pressure would be a bit lower. Pressure involves restriction vs flow.

High pressure does not always mean high volume. Same goes for low pressure.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what would you suggest? I dont think it's possible to put a flow gauge to determine how well oil flow and if the lower pressure will actually cause problems. What symptoms will I see if the oil pressure/volume is not right. Btw, almost everything is new inside, including bearings and oil pump except 2G pistons on 1G rods.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Maybe its the stock gauge or the sender.

I just removed my balance shafts during a rebuild and spun the bearings 180*. My block was baked clean like new by the machine shop and I cleaned the oil squirters myself. Oil pump gears and case is new. I noticed no difference in oil pressure on the stock gauge. It still reads zero at idle and barely reaches the first mark while revving. I could be just the gauge...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
99GTsc said:
It still reads zero at idle and barely reaches the first mark while revving. I could be just the gauge...
Read zero at idle? That means where Low is?

·
Registered
287 Posts
jw said:
The oil level is lower than the first mark when cruising around 2500rpm. Normally, it would stay slightly above the first mark.
Are you talking about the first mark of the "normal zone" or the very first mark "0"?

I was refering to: at idle mine reads "0" and while revving mine reaches the first mark in the normal zone...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wouldn't the relief valve keep the pressure the same regardless of cleaniness or whatever? Frankly both of yalls oil pressure readings would scare hell out of me - check the relief valve - sending units, connectioms, etc. Mine idles just below the first mark as the manual says it should & goes much higher when revved - it's torn down now for b/shaft & head job so I'll see what happens. Might want to tap in a real gauge with a tee around the filter housing somewhere & see if it's just your gauge or sending units.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts