DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I considered the fact that maybe the drain hole got clogged with RTV, so I bent up a paper clip and it went through no problem, so I dont think it was clogged, then I dug through my storage parts (Im getting more than I want) and found the nasty looking factory oil pump from the block that I bought awhile ago, its a factory Mitsu frontcase/oil pump, the drain hole looks slightly larger on there compared to the new cheap-o advanced auto one that I have on my car. Thats when I started to think about possibly drilling it out just a hair, like one drill size bigger, it cant hurt anything as long as I clean it good. I'll probably experiment with the old Mitsu one I got for free because its garbage anyways.

Im fairly certain its leaking from the oil pump seal because today when I pulled it apart as soon as I pulled the oil pump sprocket off I could see alittle oil sitting inside the sprocket, and it looked clean around that plug just above/behind the oil pump sprocket, also in the last ~150 miles its leaked maybe a tablespoon or 2, so its not like its just pouring out somewhere, but the fact that the timing belt is right there, and Ive got 16 new SS valves because the oil leak already cause my belt to slip (it leaked worse then but still) last fall, I need to fix this before I can really drive it too much.

Thanks for all the suggestions....Now Ive at least got a couple things I can try, I'll start with adjusting the spring inside the oil pump seal, I'll know on Wednesday if that helped. Otherwise everything is coming off and Im gonna do a little machine work on it, and I might try thinner oil, low pressure isnt going to be a problem with no B-shafts and no squirters.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
More observations;
Withoug balance shafts or oil squirters it's possible your engine is seeing too much oil pressure at high rpm. The oil pressure relief valve/ bypass in the filter housing might be overwhelmed. Some have opened the relief bypass hole slightly to keep pressure from getting too high at high rpm. I modified my new housing this way, but it's not on the car yet.

The oil feed hole for the oil pump shaft is larger than the drain hole on the pump housing from my 92 Talon. Some oil will drain out through the gap between the shaft and the housing, but not much, especially since you have a new housing and shaft, which have tighter clearances than a worn out oil pump. Again, if your oil pressure is high at high rpm it might be feeding more oil than it can drain out.

If you drill the drain hole you will have to drill two holes that meet at the ends. Dont drill too far, and keep the hole on center.

Maybe a stub shaft without the oil groove in the middle would keep excess oil pressure from getting to the seal. Some vendors sell a b-shaft eliminator kit that uses a stub shaft without the oil feed groove in the middle.

There doesn't seem to be much sealing surface area on the b-shaft sprocket. Make sure the seal is placed at the outermost edge of the pump housing, and that the sprocket is seated completely with no washer between it and the shaft. In other words, keep the seal as far out as possible, and put the sprocket as far in as possible. details, details....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
DRW said:
More observations;

The oil feed hole for the oil pump shaft is larger than the drain hole on the pump housing from my 92 Talon. Some oil will drain out through the gap between the shaft and the housing, but not much, especially since you have a new housing and shaft, which have tighter clearances than a worn out oil pump. Again, if your oil pressure is high at high rpm it might be feeding more oil than it can drain out.

If you drill the drain hole you will have to drill two holes that meet at the ends. Dont drill too far, and keep the hole on center.

Well the tighter spring did not stop the oil leak, it may have made it leak slightly less but its hard to tell, either way it still leaks. So I picked up the gasket set for the frontcase and oil pan so this weekend that will come apart again and Im going to drill out the drain hole behind the oil pump seal I think this is about the last thing I can do before I get a whole new fontcase/oilpump from Conicelli....so in a few more days I'll post back with the results.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,495 Posts
I know I am really bringing this back from the dead, but I was wondering if Mantytsi every resolved this and what the issue was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems I have the answer. 20 years later working on these same engines that are used on forklifts. oil leaks between the shaft and gear of the oil pump. been using a small O-ring between the mounting nut and the pump gear. hope this helps someone.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts