DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! I just bought a beautiful, near pristine 98 GS-T Spyder to replace my 97 (automatic) after some idiot ran a red light and I T-boned her pickup this last April. You can't get frontend replacement parts! The new (used) car was trailered last night from Chicago and parked in my driveway. And yes, the driver started and drove the car, so it does run. Went out this morning to swap it out with my Camry and move it into my garage (21 degrees out, brrrrr), and I can't start the damn thing! It's been maybe 8 years since I have driven a manual (Honda CRX Si), and yes, I depressed the clutch pedal while turning the key. Nothing, just idiot lights on the dash. Tried also depressing the brake pedal at the same time, same result, also tried with the shifter in a neutral position, and the handbrake is fully engaged. What else needs to be done to start a 5speed 98 Eclipse? No wonder that the best defense against car thieves is a manual!

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind! Found that I was not depressing the clutch pedal far enough! Geez, this car has a stiff, but basically mushy feeling shift mechanism- difficult to hit the right gates without really concentrating. My previous experience driving a manual transmission was on several Honda CRX's, four different ones in fact. Let me say that this Mitsubishi 5speed is noticeably several levels BELOW that of a Honda manual transmission- they are slilky-smooth by comparison. This 5speed feels like I'm shifting a tractor transmission- it really could use a metal gate (like on a Ferrari) to shift through, so as to make it easier to get in the right gear more easily. And I learned to use a stick on a '86 CRX DX manual- had to drive home from the dealership with no previous manual experience. Hopefully it'll get easier with time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts