DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, the previous owner of my '92 TSi had older pioneer speakers throughout the car, and the rear's just didn't make any bass, and if I tried to get them to, it didn't sound like bass....didn't sound good at all. lol But anyways, so then I bought some nice ($60) Pioneer 6x9's and put them in. It was better, but no matter what I did the bass STILL sounded like crap. So, I took those back to walmart to get some Sony Xplode's. I put those in tonight, and once again, it's better, but STILL SOUNDS LIKE CRAP. ARGH. I have a Pioneer deck, and I know nothing about it, but friends of mine have said it's a real nice one. (it has little animation/video type things...like F1 cars racing, dolphins swimming, pistons/rods/crank rotating, etc) I've tried EVERY setting on it, from "front and rear" to "front and subwoofers". I've tried different bass setting, treble, low/mid/high, etc....there's NO bass from like volume setting 1-about 30, and then at 30 I get just a tad of bass, and it sounds bad...I don't really know how to describe it, but it's a high pitched bass, and if I turn it up more, the speakers get fuzzy when the bass hits. What is going on??? I'm reeeaaaally getting fed up with this stuff. Thanks guys, and sorry for the really long post...
Sean

·
Registered
304 Posts
sounds like maybe the previous owner installed the speakers with a crossover box somewhere. I would trace the wiring to the rear speakers and you'll probably find a little black box. Or you can just run new wires from the HU to the speakers. It's either that or the rear channels on your pioneer went bad.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Are the speakers sealed correctly? If the housing they bolt into isn't sealed against the car, and the speakers aren't sealed against the mount, or if air can leak anywhere around the speaker housing, then you won't have much bass. The best way to get the sound you want is from a sub.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
first off, if you buy a $60 pair of speakers, they are going to sound like $60 speakers. i.e. not very good. we carry a brand called kohl audio, a pair of 6x9's are like 69 bucks or something. they are aweful. basically those are our bulk speakers if someone with factory blown speakers just wants something not blown. that's all. if they want something that sounds good, we give them a pair of boston's or equivalent. but then again, those cost quite a bit more ;)

secondly, you probably aren't hearing bass. i am willing to bet that's distortion ;)

last, you have to think of it in terms of a good speaker system in your house. take a good setup, and you will have seperate tweeter, midrange, and subwoofer. your 6x9's are midwoofer and tweeter. a large midwoofer, but a mid none the less. if you want bass, get a sub. even if you're not looking for a ton of bass, get a small sub. a self powered bazooka tube is a great way to go if you only want a lil to fill out the bottom end. if you want more, get bigger ;) mids are not made to play bass, subs are.

you might also check the head unit for built in crossovers. this will have quite the effect ;) but regardless, if you want decent bass get a sub. they are made for it. your mids aren't.

·
Registered
31 Posts
think i might know what's going on in your system. though i agree that you should just opt out for a sub, but to each his own. try this... fade to the rear and then set the balance to either the right or left.... if the bass increases on either side of the rear speakers but when you put them both on it sounds like crap you most definitely have them out of phase, which simply put, one speaker pounds in and the other pounds out thus negating the bass. the simple solution to this is to either switch pos and neg wires for only one channel off the head unit or just switch the wires for one speaker. if this corrects the problem keep in mind they also have to be in phase with the front speakers. hope that helps

·
Registered
690 Posts
I agree with two of the above - first make sure they are in phase! If wired incorrectly you will for sure have no bass

the second is make sure they are in a sealed area...for low frequencies to reproduce with your speakers you need the front of the speaker to be sealed from the back of the speaker or else the sound waves cancel eachother out!

If you are unsure how good your rear enclosures are, you can buy small foam "sealers" for speakers - forgot what they are called but they are simply a foam cup that goes behind speakers such as yours and helps make a enclosure - its kind of like do you notice subwoofers always come in a box? This keeps the soundwaves from the back of the speaker from hitting the waves in front - simple explaination and we dont need to get into ported or more complex boxes.

So simply put make sure the seal around your 6x9 to the car is good w/o big holes and then make sure behidn the speaker doesnt have big holes - and also if behind the speaker is a huge area it may be too large in which case buying the foam cup things I described would help as well. They are only a few bucks and most stereo shops should have em

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just remember.... 6x9's Need to be amped =). They sound like trash without being amped trust me I have heard night and day difference from 6x9's being amped and not. They are not getting full potential your HU may say its pushin out 50x4 but in reality its pushin around 26x4 at MOST. So if your not getting any bass never fear to amp them but i woulda recommended getting some better ones but its your choice. GL on getting them to sound good.:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the same problem as you 69BluDevil and have not solved it yet... An interesting thing with my problem is that my stock deck produces tremendous bass out of my aftermarket speakers (infinity reference) while my aftermarket deck (kenwood) does not produce any. I have a sub however so it is tolerable.

·
Honorary Moderator
2,723 Posts
Try checking and making sure the crossover isnt set on from the player. I have a Pioneer deck and it has a built in crossover thing that you can set to a certain frequency. If thats on, you wont get bass no matter what.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol Sorry guys but I have no idea what a crossover is....don't know much about audio stuff. Where would I look for it at and what would I do with it? Thanks for all the help everyone.
Sean

·
Registered
606 Posts
A crossover is used to cut a range of frequencies to certain speakers. For example, you don't want low frequencies (bass) going to your tweeters. So a crossover will filter out low frequencies, so the tweeters only get high frequencies. If a crossover is on your 6x9s, it might be only providing frequencies above, say, 200 hz. Your bass signal will generally be anything below about 150 hz. So the crossover would be filtering out the bass going to your 6x9s.

The crossover can be on the headunit, amp, or separate units that came with the speakers. Some speakers have a capacitor built in that is basically a crossover. These speakers might have 2 positive hook-ups. If you use one of the positive terminals, you will use the crossover. If you use the other, the speaker will run full-range (you wouldn't use both positive terminals at the same time). More than likely, the crossover would be in the headunit, since you say it is a nice Pioneer unit. You would have to look through the manual to tell you about it, and how to defeat it.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
TapRooT said:
I have heard night and day difference from 6x9's being amped and not.
this applies to ANY speaker, not just 6x9's. if i were building my system again, i wouldn't use any of the radio outs. all speakers will be amplified externally, with a ton of power. the more clean power you can feed a speaker, the better it will sound with the proper tuning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
think i might know what's going on in your system. though i agree that you should just opt out for a sub, but to each his own. try this... fade to the rear and then set the balance to either the right or left.... if the bass increases on either side of the rear speakers but when you put them both on it sounds like crap you most definitely have them out of phase, which simply put, one speaker pounds in and the other pounds out thus negating the bass. the simple solution to this is to either switch pos and neg wires for only one channel off the head unit or just switch the wires for one speaker. if this corrects the problem keep in mind they also have to be in phase with the front speakers. hope that helps
Omg thank you so much. 16 years on and your comment is still helping people out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts