DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys whats up i know ive been a member here in a long time but i havent visited the website in over 1 year. i have a newbie question to ask. ive always heard how dsm's break down alot and this and that. well know i have the money to get one and was wondering how much does it actually break down when its stock or pretty close to stock. what are the things that go wrong with it? thanks alot and please dont get mad at me, haha i havent been keeping up with dsms for a while because i didnt have the money to get one and now that im 18 and have the money i finally looking to start getting into them. can any of you answer my question? thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
First off all please click the link in my sig and read the forum rules with a focus on rule #7 before posting again. But to answer your question, it all depends on how you treat the car and how well maintained it is. If you are good to it, it will be good to you. But IMO DSMs are not a wise choice for daily drivers.

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
dsmfanatic said:
hey guys whats up i know ive been a member here in a long time
Not really, you're still relatively new.

They break as much as you allow them to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank's man, sorry i have forgetten the rules, its just been so long. So if i want a daily driver 1998 GST, you reccomend not getting it? I love DSM's but i dont want to keep fixing my car if im just driving normally day by day with the occassional WOT.

·
Registered
407 Posts
dsmfanatic said:
Thank's man, sorry i have forgetten the rules, its just been so long. So if i want a daily driver 1998 GST, you reccomend not getting it? I love DSM's but i dont want to keep fixing my car if im just driving normally day by day with the occassional WOT.
That's all I do with mine, save for the monthly autox event. As long as you keep up on the preventive maintenance, you should be fine. That's not to say that big things won't go wrong, though. You just can't expect the reliability of a Honda out of it. It will need to be fixed more often than most cars, and you'll either need to have a decent budget or a lot of time to keep it on the road.

·
Banned
1,669 Posts
cmspaz said:
That's all I do with mine, save for the monthly autox event. As long as you keep up on the preventive maintenance, you should be fine. That's not to say that big things won't go wrong, though. You just can't expect the reliability of a Honda out of it. It will need to be fixed more often than most cars, and you'll either need to have a decent budget or a lot of time to keep it on the road.

This type of biased advice rally annoys me.Any car can be reliable.Its all in how its been cared for, and how you care for it.Dsms get a bad rap because they are getting old and cheap.This allows younger people with not a lot of money to buy them.So now we have a epidemic.<20 year olds, with not a lot of money, most whom are inexperianced, that want a fast car.How many threads have you seen on here where stupid people demolish their engines by doing things that they shouldnt have done? Ex..running a mbc with no boost gauge, throwing huge turbos/psi on 10 year old 100k+ engines...ect...Take care of the car, fix what needs to be fixed properly and correctly the first time, dont beat the shit out of it and enjoy it. Also, really pay attention to who your getting it from and where its been.

·
Registered
26 Posts
They are money pits!!! But what old car isn't. If you love them than go for it, but these cars are a labor of love. Be prepared to put in the wrench time, and spend some money, just like any other old tuner car. The one beautiful thing about these cars are that they're so predictable. You already know what is going to break before it happens, how to fix it, and how much it might cost. Just like the others are saying, preventitive maint. is the cheapest insurance you can have. They are a lot of fun if you love them, but if you don't feel the love don't even bother.

·
Registered
158 Posts
empie1 said:
This type of biased advice rally annoys me.Any car can be reliable.Its all in how its been cared for, and how you care for it.Dsms get a bad rap because they are getting old and cheap.This allows younger people with not a lot of money to buy them.So now we have a epidemic.<20 year olds, with not a lot of money, most whom are inexperianced, that want a fast car.How many threads have you seen on here where stupid people demolish their engines by doing things that they shouldnt have done? Ex..running a mbc with no boost gauge, throwing huge turbos/psi on 10 year old 100k+ engines...ect...Take care of the car, fix what needs to be fixed properly and correctly the first time, dont beat the shit out of it and enjoy it. Also, really pay attention to who your getting it from and where its been.
+1 Quality parts, Quality time and it done right the first time, Good PM equals reliable.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
When you go to look at the car, you either need to know just what to look for, bring someone who does, or have the car inspected at a dealership or reputable shop. I almost bought a 95 GSX that looked damn near immaculate, but when I had it inspected it turned out to be a different story.

As others have said, treat it right, know what you're doing if you decide to work on it yourself (highly recommended...saves you so much money), and don't abuse the car.

·
Registered
716 Posts
LOL I was laughing because the OP's second post which still broke rule 7 violation, which he was warned for up a couple posts. No big deal, I just thought he was going to get hounded for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts