DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I know a guy who is selling an older model APEXi S-AFC for 125 bucks, should I consider getting it since it's more than half the price lower than a new one? I'm also looking at getting a fuel pump that has 43K on it taken from a 3000GT VR-4? Thanks guys.

Kevin V.
Gainesville, FL
'90 Talon TSi FWD
16G, MAS mods with K&N
She pulls hard for
almost stock!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually, not to contradict, but i use an old school AFC, and it works very well, it doesnt have allthe bells and whisltes, or give me a hand job, but its far from garbage, if you can score one cheap, they work pretty well.

Jesse

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
KinesisDesign said:
Actually, not to contradict, but i use an old school AFC, and it works very well, it doesnt have allthe bells and whisltes, or give me a hand job, but its far from garbage, if you can score one cheap, they work pretty well.

Jesse
Ditto here... I'd like it more if it had a few more RPM points, but it works...

·
Registered
223 Posts
i think the older style is better. i find it 20x easier to use and setup.

and bottom line, it gets the job done.........

yea the new one looks all fancy and has nice features.... but that kind of stuff isnt for me

·
Registered
196 Posts
Grizzly said:
i think the older style is better. i find it 20x easier to use and setup.

and bottom line, it gets the job done.........

yea the new one looks all fancy and has nice features.... but that kind of stuff isnt for me
I, too, have to agree. It gets the job done and is a lot easier to set up. The price helps too.

·
Registered
153 Posts
DOHCdave said:
get the fuel pump and ignore the old safc, garbage.

Sean
Bob Friend, here in NC, ran an 11.70 in an automatic 95 Eclipse with the old style afc....

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Datalogger...Thanks...

I went to pocketlogger.com, but am still confused on what datalogger to get? Thanks guys for the help. I figured at 125 bucks, you can't beat it. Plus the afc is in great shape.

Kevin
'90 Talon TSi FWD

·
Registered
195 Posts
the old safc gives no balance between street cruising and full throttle performance, its ok for a race cor, or a nice street car, it dosen't to both at the same time very well. The new one is simple and very nice, More RPM points that are user selectable.

Sean

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
With a stock ECU, what is there to tune at part throttle? Tune your maps for WOT, run the correct fuel pressure and base timing, and your part throttle stuff will fall into place. Keep in mind we have closed-loop during part throttle.

The old style AFC is better than a lot of people give it credit for. It can be had really cheaply, and is a LOT easier to work with than the new one. 5 knobs vs. 4 buttons and a ton of screens.

I do agree that I'd like my old AFC a lot better if it had more RPM points, but 5 is enough to get it done.

·
Registered
156 Posts
DOHCdave said:
get the fuel pump and ignore the old safc, garbage.

Sean

yes get your fuel pump first bfore your afc.. $125 is a good deal though. and sean its the same shit.,.. stop with your bling bling crap! hahahah it does th job=0) scott ran 11s with it! much easier to use to... but it loooks like poo poo

but again fuel pump first..at least rewire...

ian
90 tsi awd

1 - 13 of 13 Posts